Author Topic: spyware terminator  (Read 5477 times)

jwall

spyware terminator
« on: October 09, 2007, 06:38:00 PM »
I've done a search and it seems it is OK to use Spyware Terminator with avast?
What about the included ClamAV?  Don't use it as a resident AV with avast! being resident?

I tried Spyware Termnator a long time ago and it was buggy for me.  I've heard good things about it recently and want to try it again.
I use avast's Web Shield and resident scanner.

Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: spyware terminator
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 06:43:05 PM »
You should be OK with ST and avast, I would advise against using the option of integrating ClamAV. Even though it is meant to be on-demand it appears to have a running service/s, which for an on-demand scanner seems strange.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jwall

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 06:49:10 PM »
Thanks.
The new version seems to have an internet guard of some sort, I'm guessing stay away from that too since I'm using the Web Shield in avast!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 08:02:36 PM »
Your welcome.
Sorry I haven't used the latest version so I'm not familiar with their internet guard or how it works, but since the web shield covers that area perhaps you right you don't need it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Rafel

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 08:43:07 PM »
I recommend you ST without Web security guard. ST standalone. I use it, and without CLAM integration.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 10:52:28 PM »
I recommend you ST without Web security guard. ST standalone. I use it, and without CLAM integration.
I follow this...
The best things in life are free.

stevey

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 11:40:15 AM »
Are you saying turn off the Internet Explorer Shield in Spyware Terminator? :-\

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 12:19:51 PM »
That is not what is being said.
The "main" SpywareTerminator download includes the crawler toolbar with web security guard (WSG) - sort of like "site advisor", but a bit better, AFAIK.
(Required to be installed for "Internet Protection", but nothing to do with "internet explorer protection" located in the "Real Time Protection" area.)

It also includes the (optional) Clam AV, which uses the WinClam definitions and cleaning engine, and by a software trick known as "magic" avails itself of the antispyware's resident protection shield. So it's a way of turning the normal demand-only WinClam into a resident.

I have run ST, with Clam, and Avast Home together in the past, for a few weeks, with no problems; I believe they do not conflict, because of the different types of resident protection.
That is not to say they won't conflict: it is certainly possible, I've not had it, and not heard of it.

I've since uninstalled Clam simply because I don't consider it necessary in addition to ST and Avast.
I've never had the WSG installed, not anything against the crawler toolbar at all, I just don't use toolbars, full stop. Apart from what's already in Firefox.
Makes for a much better viewable screen, and less cluttered processes.

On the SpywareTerminator download page, the standalone version is the second download, 4.53Mb. This is the version I use, and have been problem (and malware) free.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

jwall

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 01:47:48 PM »
Your welcome.
Sorry I haven't used the latest version so I'm not familiar with their internet guard or how it works, but since the web shield covers that area perhaps you right you don't need it.

That's what I was thinking too.
I've been happy with the free version AVG anti spyware though, but it's non resident and I don't know if one is better than the other as far as finding stuff.
I like having as few things as possible running in the background, just 'old school' thinking, I guess. ;D

Thanks for all the input.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 02:08:05 PM by jwall »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 02:26:32 PM »
I don't know if one is better than the other as far as finding stuff.
Sometimes better, sometimes worse.
But, indeed, it's another defense layer (if your computer is not poor on resources) that worths.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 03:26:25 PM »
<snip>
I've been happy with the free version AVG anti spyware though, but it's non resident and I don't know if one is better than the other as far as finding stuff.
I like having as few things as possible running in the background, just 'old school' thinking, I guess. ;D

Personally I don't think there is a huge difference between then with the exception of the resident status, I did try ST for a short time, but I didn't like the interface and some of the options weren't self explanatory on what they actually did and I do like to know what and option will do before I select it. So it didn't last too long on my system.

I too have always been a believer in only essential applications get to run on boot and for me that wasn't essential, although I take additional pre-emptive actions such as DropMyRights and have a back-up and recovery strategy (dick imaging software) that should the unlikely every happen, I can have my system back up in a little over 15 minutes. So my example isn't for your average user where a multi-level/application approach to their security will provide better overall protection.

jwall

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 03:43:20 PM »
Yes, probably if you are prudent on your internet activity, avast Web Shield and a stand alone spyware checker are OK, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have a 'second opinion'.

I tried ST last year when it first came out and one of the bugs (I found out the hard way) was that it changed file permissions with out you knowing it! >:(

They were quick to post a fix, but with the Home version of XP, it was a real PITA and that sort of turned me off from it.  It also was causing problems with me using Bit Defender free, so I had a real mess.
I couldn't uninstall or reinstall BD.  To BD's credit, they helped me find the fix, after three weeks of emailing back and forth.

ST is now in version 2. so maybe if I have some time, I'll try it.  I hate being the lab rat for software though. >:(
As the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".  Or, "Keep fixing it until it is".  :)

Cheers.

CharleyO

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 07:47:10 AM »

No need for you to be a lab rat ... as several of us here have done that for you.    ;)

I also use and like Spyware Terminator ... no crawler toolbar, no WSG ... but I do have ClamAV installed and only use it as an on-demand scanner.

jwall

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 02:30:11 PM »

No need for you to be a lab rat ... as several of us here have done that for you.    ;)

I know you have and I really appreciate that.  Everyone here is great. +!
And I don't mean to whine about free software.  ::)

Cheers.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 03:26:54 PM by jwall »

gdiloren

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 11:13:40 PM »
The use of clam win integration as an on demand AV is questionnable:it is re-a-lly so sl-o-w like you wouldn't beleive and it only notifies you of infected files with no possible action. ???