Author Topic: CNET 2008 Antivirus Round Up  (Read 3849 times)

internetworld7

CNET 2008 Antivirus Round Up
« on: October 16, 2007, 09:30:13 PM »
I believe this was released today. Anyway avast! doesn't seem to appeal to much to these editors over at Cnet but it isn't the worst either. Take a look:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6600_7-6768133-1.html?tag=cnetfd.mt
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 12:26:39 AM by internetworld7 »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: CNET 2008 Antivirus Round Up
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 09:47:29 PM »
The scan speed test is ridiculous (it heavily depends on the particular scan setting - at least in avast!, Quick vs Thorough test will differ significantly).

And statements like "The quicker it takes the antivirus program to scan the folder--relative to other antivirus applications--the more efficient the program is at scanning files."... is a plain nonsence. (You can actually argue that the opposite might be true, if you wish).

sanctuary24

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 11:15:11 PM »
Well I have faith in you guys keep up the good work :)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 11:44:39 PM »
The bad: Avast Antivirus 4.7 Home edition requires registration for use.
Oh shock horror in that case I will use Norton which will take over my machine .......  and then the world (you need to shout the last bit)
Are they serious, would you trust a 2 second scan - OK exaggeration.

On the other forum where I play, most Trojans and the like are let in by McAfee/Norton/Trend and that is taking into account the vastly different user base size

Me thinks I will stick with my trusty Avast  8)

internetworld7

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 12:25:04 AM »
One error that particularly stood out to me in Cnet's article is that avast! does not protect against spyware. This is a huge error on their part as avast! DOES provide detection and real-time protection against spyware. This is verified by AV-Comparatives which in 2006 tested several anitvirus programs just in the spyware category alone and avast! had an 89% detection rate.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 02:36:58 AM »
Another ridiculous review of CNET. There are tons of them available there. They're paid by the companies for the reviews. They're not independent. There are so many errors on this review that made me laugh.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 05:27:09 AM »
It's at very least a style of journalism that just begs you to be cynical!  E.g. Adding an irrelevent pejorative comment immediately following praise, such as:

"in informal testing that Avast Antivirus used no more than 10 percent of our system resources during a number of different scans--a fairly light performance hit. However, we did find that when generating the VRDB, Avast soared into the 40 percent system resources territory."

Given that the VRDB is only generated when the system is idle, they must be really concerned about wasting electricity!  ;)

There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 04:08:48 PM »
ofc it does need some resources to create such database (I/O cycles, CPU cycles for hashes w/e, data creation with binary headers etc)
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 04:21:38 PM »
ofc it does need some resources to create such database (I/O cycles, CPU cycles for hashes w/e, data creation with binary headers etc)
More than that. This is an avast unique feature. Other antivirus do not use resources on it because they even have it!
The best things in life are free.

Rafel

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 05:43:35 PM »
I always find if it's a trusted program, but reviews? If you go to xyz.com review says *Guai AV it's great, but if you go to zyx.com says GUAI AV is crap. IF you have got an AV company and you pay, the review will be the best, but if you ndon't pay, your AV is a s***
I always read reviews of a lot of users, p eg this forum, and my experience.

*GUAI AV is an exemple, doesnt's exist :D