Author Topic: Ubuntu 7.10 Final Released! The wait is over!  (Read 24958 times)

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Ubuntu 7.10 Final Released! The wait is over!
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2007, 06:47:34 PM »
Mandriva gave me desktop effects (but got the screen resolution wrong).

It recognised my ADSL modem (but wouldn't allow me to configure it to actually get a connection).

I suspect both of these things could be fixed.

Sound worked! If it's true that PCLinuxOS is based on Mandriva, then maybe future versions will work with my soundcard!

I spent 4 hours downloading a OpenSUSE DVD only to find it was an installation disk. Downloading a live CD now.

The quest for a working Linux distro continues...
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2007, 10:09:40 AM »
I will give this Mandriva 2008 a try and see how it works.

Mandriva should work well with your machine if PCLOS works as well as you say.
I would be interested to know if you have ever tried PCLOS on your mac Sasha ? Just wondering how it works on mac's ...

Sound worked! If it's true that PCLinuxOS is based on Mandriva, then maybe future versions will work with my soundcard!

Exactly ! Need to keep an eye out for future PCLOS versions.

Mandriva gave me desktop effects (but got the screen resolution wrong).

You can set it up in Mandriva control center or manually edit the xorg.conf file.

It recognised my ADSL modem (but wouldn't allow me to configure it to actually get a connection).

Never had those problems myself since i am behind a router for more than 3 yrs now. Another good point for getting a router i guess .
Are you trying this with KPPP ? I gave it a try and it works fine on my end.

This will come in usefull for all of you that installed Mandriva. http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2007, 02:39:37 PM »
...If it's true that PCLinuxOS is based on Mandriva...

Yes it's true, indeed... More about it in here: http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=58&topic=27145.30
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2007, 02:42:29 PM »
I would be interested to know if you have ever tried PCLOS on your mac Sasha ? Just wondering how it works on mac's ...

Uhm... never tried it to tell you the truth. I am so happy with my OS X I simply haven't felt any need to replace it with something else... except Leopard in few days of course. Maybe I'll try mu PCLinuxOS LiveCD if it works, just to see what's happening and post back...

Cheers!
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2007, 03:19:17 PM »
Ubuntu 7.10 is great but.. Open Office does not support Arabic letters. All my attempts to write a single Arabic letter went to nothing  :'(
any idea how to fix this problem?

thnx
MW

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2007, 04:14:27 PM »
...any idea how to fix this problem?

Did you try this?

http://www.dilap.eu/open-office-windows/install-open-office-arabic.htm

Edit:

I also see that the topic is covered in the OOo Help files. Search "arabic".
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 04:22:30 PM by OrangeCrate »

Gene J

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2007, 08:31:09 AM »
I am in the process of building up a back-up comp out of spare parts. I will take the plunge and use Ubuntu 7.10 as the OS. I have never used any OS except Windows, so this will be a learning experience for me. I hope the learning curve is not too steep.

Negeltu

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2007, 08:43:15 AM »
I am in the process of building up a back-up comp out of spare parts. I will take the plunge and use Ubuntu 7.10 as the OS. I have never used any OS except Windows, so this will be a learning experience for me. I hope the learning curve is not too steep.

The learning curve isn't too bad as long as one is willing to do some things a little differently.  For normal everyday use such as checking email, browsing the web, desktop publishing etc...  it's very easy to use.

It starts getting sticky for most when you start playing with the desktop effects (Compiz-Fusion).  I had terrible trouble.  Desktop effects would work sometimes and then sometimes not.  I am using an Nvidia Geforce Ti 4400.  I finally out of frustration tried "sudo apt-get install xserver-xgl" and it fixed everything.  Now my desktop effects are there on startup with no crashing/freezing.  Overall Ubuntu is a very good OS.  If you install your software from the supported repo's you shouldn't have a problem.  Most of the things you will need can be found in the repositories.  I only keep Windows XP for some graphics editing and Gaming.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2007, 10:34:23 AM »
xserver-xgl worked for me too! (The only problem is the screen goes black for a short time at boot, presumably while it loads.)

But what exactly is xserver-xgl?  ???
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2007, 12:19:55 PM »

For day-to-day use, you'll find it's not steep at all.

When you get the box put together, either download Ubuntu from here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Or order a a live CD from here:

https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

If the live CD runs O.K., your hardware configuration is fine. If not, you can usually find fixes here, by simply searching the forums, or posting a question in the "Absolute Beginner Talk" forum:

http://ubuntuforums.org/

From Negeltu's post:

It starts getting sticky for most when you start playing with the desktop effects (Compiz-Fusion).  I had terrible trouble...

Don't let those comments scare you. Personally, I don't like the desktop effects, and don't use them. There's a menu option not to use, and if you run into similar problems, don't use the eye candy, until you're more familiar with Ubuntu.

But since you're building your box from spare parts, if you have an older video card installed, the eye candy options probably won't be available anyway. The installation process will automatically recognize whether you can use them or not.

For normal everyday use such as checking email, browsing the web, desktop publishing etc...  it's very easy to use.

I assume this is what you're looking for Gene, and after you are familiar with Linux for everyday use, you can jump in and learn about the operating system as deep as you like.

Have fun.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 03:12:07 PM by OrangeCrate »

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2007, 12:57:51 PM »
For anyone contemplating Linux, it would be worthwhile to take a few moments and read this:

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

There are many more similar articles - this one's pretty good.

Though I use Linux, and only Linux, and I'm quite happy with the operating system, my choice is not for everyone. I do encourage people to at least try it, as an alternative to Windows, but there's nothing wrong with Windows, as long as you recognize it's shortcomings, and protect yourself.

There is a learning curve to everything new. And with Linux, beyond the basics of using the OS for day-to-day activities, it can be steep.

You just need to remember that Linux is not Windows. If you expect Linux to be nothing more than a free version of Windows, then Linux is not for you.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 01:55:38 PM by OrangeCrate »

Negeltu

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2007, 05:23:59 PM »
Hmm  well it certainly was NOT meant to scare anyone.  The comment is absolutely true.  It causes people a lot of problems when people who are new to linux start messing around with Compiz and the such.  People who try to pass linux off as a smooth experience are not being totally up front.  You WILL inevitably have to use the cli.  Problems with video drivers and printers are quite common.  One could say they are common with XP, but I have just never had that experience.  All my experiences with XP have been fantastic.  I'm not here to convert anyone either way.  I'm just being honest about what I've seen people griping about on the ubuntu forums AND my personal experience.  I had a heck of a time with my printers and scanners.  I finally had to give up on my Lexmark x83.  It is very difficult to print on cd with my epson r200. 

All that aside... I say..  Go for it.  I love Linux.  I see it maturing everyday into a wonderful OS.  There are fan boys on both side of the fence.  Give it a try... if you like it..  Use it.  If you don't...  eh.. give it another week or two before you give up on it.  You may find it grows on you and once you let go of some of your Windows habits you may start liking it more.  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2007, 06:53:17 PM »
Is there anyone using wubi? (www.wubi-installer.org)
The best things in life are free.

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2007, 07:57:33 PM »
Is there anyone using wubi? (www.wubi-installer.org)

Wasn't aware of it until now. I've taken the time to read the documentation, and it sounds interesting.

From the FAQ page:

http://www.wubi-installer.org/faq.php

How does Wubi work?

Wubi adds an entry to the Windows boot menu which allows you to run Linux. Ubuntu is installed within a file in the windows file system (c:\wubi\disks\system.virtual.disk), this file is seen by Linux as a real hard disk.

Is this running Ubuntu within a virtual environment or something similar?

No. This is a real installation, the only difference is that Ubuntu is installed within a file as opposed to being installed within its own partition. Thus we spare you the trouble to create a free partition for Ubuntu. And we spare you the trouble to have to burn a CD-Rom.

What platforms are supported?

Wubi will run on on all Windows versions from Windows 98 to Windows Vista, more platforms to come soon. 64-bit builds are possible but not yet available. Linux/*nix/*BSD are supported through Lubi (download location and guide), and Mac OSX will eventually be supported through Mubi (developers still needed).

What is the performance?

The performance is identical to a standard installation, except for hard-disk access which is slightly slower. If your hard disk is very fragmented the performance will degenerate. However, once the Ubuntu install created by Wubi has been transferred to a dedicated partition using LVPM, the hard drive access speed will be identical to that of a standard Ubuntu installation.

And this is LVPM:

http://lubi.sourceforge.net/lvpm.html

I don't have a way to test it, but would certainly be interested to hear how it worked...

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2007, 11:06:21 PM »
I know it's stuped  :-[
but after I installed ubuntu 7.10 I can't get to it's GUI. Only the startup screen with a prompt after this line:
root@mina-desktop:~#
would you help me please  :( :-\ :'(
MW