Author Topic: Free HHD Cloning soft  (Read 7815 times)

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Free HHD Cloning soft
« on: October 21, 2007, 11:58:56 AM »
Hello everyone,

maybe someone knows good hdd cloning soft. I'm planing to switch to bigger hard disk drive without reinstalling pc. CD bootable solution is preferred (without installations in hdd).  ;)   Thanks for advises.  ;D

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Free HHD Cloning soft
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 12:02:20 PM »
I'm using PING. It's live linux based utility, quiet nice one actually :) You can backup entire drives to compressed image or clone them.

http://ping.windowsdream.com
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 02:20:21 PM »
Acronis True Image is very good. But not free.
DriveImage XML is a freeware.
SelfImage is a new, seems good, partition/backup utility.
Partition Logic, GParted and Cute Partition Manager could copy entire partitions.
The best things in life are free.

Offline rhuds13

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 06:58:28 PM »
If your new drive is Seagate then download Seatools and then use their clone drive option. You can let it go auto or you can select manual and set partition sizes as you want.

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 09:59:16 PM »
If your new drive is Seagate then download Seatools and then use their clone drive option. You can let it go auto or you can select manual and set partition sizes as you want.

From Seagate to Seagate  ;D 40GB to 160Gb I thinks so... The problem is... now I have 2 partitions and I want to have 4 in new HDD (it's still in the shop actually but... it's a matter of days  ;D ) I hope Seatools will be able to do what I want to do  ;D

It's DiscWizard actually  ;D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 10:01:57 PM by =YLAP= »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 10:38:23 PM »
I hope Seatools will be able to do what I want to do  ;D
If it does not, just try the tools I've posted before.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 10:48:54 PM »

From Seagate to Seagate  ;D 40GB to 160Gb I thinks so... The problem is... now I have 2 partitions and I want to have 4 in new HDD (it's still in the shop actually but... it's a matter of days  ;D ) I hope Seatools will be able to do what I want to do  ;D

It's DiscWizard actually  ;D

That's why I use Norton Ghost. It never failed on me and I use it continuously last 6 years. You can create an image file (a CLONE actually) of your 40 GB partition and then restore it to any size partition as long as it's same or larger than the source one, the one you backed up. You can also create an image file of your whole HD, regardless of how many partitions it has. Then restore it to your new HD and if you need few more partitions, repartition your new HD as per your needs. It backs-up my whole Windows OS partition (C:) in less than 10 minutes (81 GB in total and 18 GB used). Restoring it goes ever faster...
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline rhuds13

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 03:42:17 AM »
Yep always keep Norton Ghost as saves a lot of time when trying new software and if something goes wrong you can run ghost to get back to good spot again.

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »
Just installed Seagate DiscWizard. Actually it's free version of Acronis for Seagate and Maxtor users. Looked possibilities of this tool and I can say I really like it. Seems to be good soft and it's free.

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 08:03:04 PM »
OK, data migration was very successful - old 40GB Barracuda migrated to new perpendicular 250GB Barracuda 7200.10  ;D I hope it will be as reliable as the older one was  ::) Thanks for all advises!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 12:15:27 AM »
Remember that if the program does not copy the 'serial' number of the HDD, avast will complain about the 'new' installation and the antipiracy feature will disable it in the new HDD. You'll have to add avast key again.

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 10:01:56 AM »
Everything seems to be fine with every licensed (or not  ;D) program here.  ;) Works as new HDD was here for years.