Author Topic: Option to Cease "i" Systray Icon Spinning?  (Read 3194 times)

Rob8urcakes

Option to Cease "i" Systray Icon Spinning?
« on: October 22, 2007, 11:33:43 AM »
Hi Folks,

Just downloaded my first avast! Home Edition and can't figure out how to get the system tray icon to stop spinning.

With no success I've tried this:

right click "a" icon in system tray > Program Settings > Appearance > unchecked "Animate the icon when scanning" (whilst "Show avast! tray icon is checked") > OK,

then rebooted computer.

RESULT:  "i" icon continues unwanted animation.  D'oh!

It's not a particularly big issue - I'm just not used to things in the system tray catching my eye.

And I'm 'fairly sure' the program is to alert me of problems anyway.  So it's just a minor issue of personal preference.

Any ideas or comments my friends?

Rafel

Re: Option to Cease "i" Systray Icon Spinning?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 12:21:53 PM »
Click riht on I icon and select the last option. In the shot is in my language, but you can select the last option because the order is the same.

Rob8urcakes

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 12:48:05 PM »
Sorry Rafel, I should have mentioned I tried that yesterday.

Right click on "i" icon > Merge with main avasti! icon > reboot computer

This removed the "i" icon from the system tray.

But during scan, the "i" icon briefly re-appears then disappears when finished scanning - which is even better at distracting me than the spinning "i".

Any other ideas my friends?

Spyros

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 01:27:06 PM »
Right click "a" --> VRDB --> generate VRDB only when screensaver is running (You can't see it when the screensaver is running  ;))

or

Right click "a" --> VRDB --> Generate VRDB now! --> Go out for a coffee / beer / burger etc. (By the time you're back, it'll be over  ;D)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 01:32:20 PM »
the "i" icon briefly re-appears then disappears when finished scanning - which is even better at distracting me than the spinning "i".
Not scanning, but building the VRDB database.
The best things in life are free.

Rob8urcakes

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 01:38:38 PM »
Thanks for that guys.

As I said, it's not such a big deal.  If the spinning can't be disabled, I'd rather 'put up, and shut up' than risk auto-infection.

Great product folks :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 03:21:51 PM »
Thanks for that guys.

As I said, it's not such a big deal.  If the spinning can't be disabled, I'd rather 'put up, and shut up' than risk auto-infection.

Great product folks :)

It isn't that the spinning can't be disabled, it depends on your choice, it can be completely disabled, not advised. It only rotates when it is building its database of information on certain files in your system. Once this is complete it won't trouble you until its next cycle in 21 days time (which can be customised).

If the VRDB is set to generate when Idle or when the screen-saver is running there are more likely to be many interruptions, which would take longer to complete.

I have mine set to run when the screen-saver is running, since I don't use a screen-saver it would never run. I do a manual VRDB, Generate Now every three weeks as a part of my regular system maintenance, it takes about 9 minutes on my system and that is it done.

So there are ways round this, it just needs some lateral thinking ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security