Author Topic: Avast instead of Norton AV  (Read 6896 times)

MidniteGardener

Re: Avast instead of Norton AV
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2007, 10:42:15 PM »
Hey ! Thanks again David R  8)

Yes, I finally figured out how to do the expansion.

I cleaned up the System Restore and did other clean up as far as I was able, then ran another scan. I didn't save a screen shot of the results, but all files were again "Unable to scan" ~ one was for reason of containing some sort of bomb! Three or four were "corrupted" and all the rest were "password protected".

The learning continues ...  ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2007, 10:54:47 PM »
I didn't save a screen shot of the results
Enable the report option and you'll have a report after the scanning.

But all files were again "Unable to scan"
Many reasons for that: access denied, password protection, archive corruption...
Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

one was for reason of containing some sort of bomb!
Decompression bomb is a file that may be rather small, but decompresses to an enormous amount of data (when processed as a packed archive). Such file are not malicious per se, but they may block an antivirus program when it tries to scan them.
This kind of files is rather hard to detect (and avoid) precisely - so, it is possible that there are some false alarms. It's not a big problem in this case, however - the "decompression bomb" announcement actually means something like "The file has a very high, maybe even suspicious, compression ratio and the AV is not going to scan the archive content".

I'd suggest to ignore these files.
But you can change values into avast4.ini file to configure how avast should work with these files.
Click 'Settings' in my signature for more info  ;)

and all the rest were "password protected".
avast can't scan files that are password protected, it doesn't know the password.
There are many legitimate reasons why a file was password protected. For instance, the ones you're talking about. Lavasoft stores its data in a password-protected ZIP archives (to prevent other similar tools from messing up with them). It's really nothing to worry about - it's normal.

The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2007, 11:45:37 PM »
Hey ! Thanks again David R  8)

Yes, I finally figured out how to do the expansion.
<snip>

Your welcome
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MidniteGardener

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2007, 02:50:58 PM »
Thank you Tech  :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007, 03:21:04 PM »
Thank you Tech  :)
You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help.
Is everything working now?
The best things in life are free.