Author Topic: can't use internet for "caution virus has been detected".  (Read 4159 times)

pfuqua

can't use internet for "caution virus has been detected".
« on: October 29, 2007, 04:45:44 AM »
Since installing AVAST, The virus protection "caution a virus has been detected" goes of 20 times a minute. Is this normal? How can I stop this. I am running WINDOWS XP

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: can't use internet for "caution virus has been detected".
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 05:20:58 AM »
It depends on what you are doing. Are you going to any perticular site? Downloading something?

Welcome to the forum.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 04:04:17 PM »
What is the infected file name, where was it found e.g. (C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx or URL, etc.) ? 

Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast 'a' icon), Warning section, this contains information on all avast detections.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 06:34:48 PM »
Is this normal?
No.
If a virus is replicant (coming and coming again), you could follow the general cleaning procedure:

1. Disable System Restore on Windows ME or Windows XP. System Restore cannot be disabled on Windows 9x and it's not available in Windows 2k. After boot you can enable System Restore again after step 3.

2. Clean your temporary files. You can use CleanUp or the Windows Advanced Care features for that.

3. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast. Start avast! > Right click the skin > Schedule a boot-time scanning. Select for scanning archives. Boot. Other option is scanning in SafeMode (repeatedly press F8 while booting).

4. It will be good if you download, install, update and run AVG Antispyware. Some users recommend SUPERantispyware, Spyware Terminator and/or a-squared (take care about false positives).
If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than.

5. If you still detecting any strange behavior or even you're sure you're not clean, maybe it will be good to test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest AVG or Trend Micro RootkitBuster (for XP/Vista). For XP: Panda (for XP).

6. Also, if you still detecting strange behaviors or you want to be sure you're clean, maybe making a HijackThis log to post here and, specially, scan and submit to on-line analysis the RunScanner log would help to identify the problem and the solution.

7. After you're clean, use the immunization of SpywareBlaster or, which is better, the Windows Advanced Care features of spyware/adware cleaning and removal.

8. Finally, when you're clean, check for insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector to update insecure applications and avoid reinfection.
The best things in life are free.