Author Topic: Lost Background  (Read 3609 times)

Yeldir

Lost Background
« on: October 31, 2007, 05:56:05 PM »
Hi,

I've looked around the help pages but could not find an answer.  After installing Avast my desktop has gone from a nice photo I had displayed to a single solid colour.  When I went into desktop properties I was unable to make any changes to the background other than change the actual colour.  Anybody know how I can get my settings back?

Thanking you in anticipation.

Yeldir.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Lost Background
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 06:36:54 PM »
I don't know how this might have happened as avast doesn't have any functionality to change your desktop.

Is the Background drop-down list not available or has None been selected, or is it that you can't select an image, can you explain what you have tried ?

Try the results of this google search, http://www.google.com/search?q=can%27t+change+desktop+background+image.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 06:38:33 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 07:01:48 PM »
Never heard that avast could have anything related to the desktop background photo or color. Is there any info into avast Log Viewer saying that the photo was infected?
The best things in life are free.

Yeldir

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 09:15:10 AM »
Thanks for that chaps.

Using DavidR's Google search I found it to be a problem in my registry.  A command line left over from some spyware I had installed and removed just before installing Avast.

Thanks Again.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 12:28:51 PM »
A command line left over from some spyware I had installed and removed just before installing Avast.
To be sure you're clean, I suggest:

1. Disable System Restore and reenable it after step 3.
2. Clean your temporary files.
3. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on.
4. Use AVG Antispyware; SUPERantispyware and/or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than.
5. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest AVG or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
6. Make a HijackThis log to post here or, better, submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
7. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster or Windows Advanced Care.
8. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 02:09:55 PM »
Using DavidR's Google search I found it to be a problem in my registry.  A command line left over from some spyware I had installed and removed just before installing Avast.

Thanks Again.

No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security