Author Topic: Forced program update  (Read 2969 times)

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Forced program update
« on: October 23, 2007, 12:41:44 PM »
Since there hasn't been the usual outcry from win98 and me users, I thought perhaps forced updates where a thing of the past. I was going to post a question here regarding that.

I've been waiting for one to happen since ???? whenever 4.7.942 came out. Yes. I know there is newer version, but VLK requested a sample of a failed update to see if the problem could be fixed. I was willing to supply one, but....

Forced update happened Oct 22, rebooted system, no red cross on icons, interfaces open as expected. The only thing I don't know for sure is auto vps udates or running a full scan.

I mention this because another win98se user reported updating problem with this version. I know avast does check for updates, but there hasn't been one since the 783-1, which was also the program update. Will let you know if any problems.

So I quess I'll have to change my question. Was something fixed to make the updates go smoothly on win98 and me? Or did I just get lucky?

If the later, sorry VLK, better luck next time!  ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Forced program update
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 03:25:15 PM »
783-1 is the current VPS it is the one I have and the one reported on the avast.com home page. I don't think you will have long to wait for the next VPS.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 04:38:32 PM »
I thought perhaps forced updates where a thing of the past.
Sometimes they've forced program upgrades:
a) latest version is mature enough - there are no known bugs, everything fixed
b) there is high enough number of people already having the latest version - because if forced install would be made too soon, it'd overload the servers
c) there is some new/fixed functionality, especially bound to update/setup/vps parts of avast, which needs to be used by all their users.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=27973.msg228464#msg228464
The best things in life are free.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 11:06:47 PM »
Ok The last two things to check, checked out.

Full scan, thorough with archives, no problems. The final result was about 1.5gb more data scanned. The added packers I guess.

Updates, no problems. Had two so far.

I don't know when the forced updates for this version started. Maybe the two users that where having problems are just isolated cases.