Author Topic: Windows Live Hotmail  (Read 3489 times)

Go Pack Go

Windows Live Hotmail
« on: October 27, 2007, 01:25:09 AM »
The only email I use on my computer is Hotmail, does the Internet Mail provider cover Hotmail?  And if not, should I keep the Mail thing on just in case, or would I not need it?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Windows Live Hotmail
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 01:41:28 AM »
The short answer is no, unless it is a pop3 account which I would say is unlikely. Hotmail is web based mail viewed over your browser, of can be downloaded in OE or MS Outlook email but it doesn't use the pop3 protocol to do this.

If viewed vial your browser, the web shield would monitor it.

I would not only recommend that you keep the Internet Mail provider enabled but set its sensitivity to High. The reason for this is there are a number of trojan spambots that can use your system to send out spam, with the Internet Mail provider set to High it can detect multiple identical identical emails in a period of time. This may be the first indication that you have an undetected spambot on your system.

Keeping the Internet Mail provider enabled, set, to High will use minimal resources as it won't be scanning anything unless the situation mentioned above occurs.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Go Pack Go

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 01:47:20 AM »
The short answer is no, unless it is a pop3 account which I would say is unlikely. Hotmail is web based mail viewed over your browser, of can be downloaded in OE or MS Outlook email but it doesn't use the pop3 protocol to do this.

If viewed vial your browser, the web shield would monitor it.

I would not only recommend that you keep the Internet Mail provider enabled but set its sensitivity to High. The reason for this is there are a number of trojan spambots that can use your system to send out spam, with the Internet Mail provider set to High it can detect multiple identical identical emails in a period of time. This may be the first indication that you have an undetected spambot on your system.

Keeping the Internet Mail provider enabled, set, to High will use minimal resources as it won't be scanning anything unless the situation mentioned above occurs.

Ok, thanks

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 01:54:22 AM »
Your welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security