Author Topic: Outlook Express & AVAST!  (Read 5968 times)

autumnleaves

Outlook Express & AVAST!
« on: March 06, 2004, 06:29:47 PM »
 :'(  Outlook Express won't accept my server password so I can't send/receive e-mails.  AVAST! won't accept my registration number which has been entered correctly.  Why is this -- am I missing something?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re:Outlook Express & AVAST!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2004, 11:03:31 PM »
Use Mail Protection Wizard for Outlook Express Configuration.

For registration serial,check that you don't have any free spaces before the serial.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2004, 12:30:36 AM »
For Registration: use copy & paste method to be sure.
For not 'accepting your server password and send/receive e-mails', see either if you correct configure your Updates (Advanced) settings page (dial-up or DSL connection).  ;)

Hope this help.
The best things in life are free.

shaner

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2004, 01:19:57 AM »
No.  That's not it.  I think I know what he means.  Avast! seems to change the server settings everytime Outlook Express is closed.  Which means he can't send or receive e-mails until he fixes the settings.  I have the same problem.

I also am having the same problem and I'm ready to ditch Avast! unless somebody can tell me how to fix it, step-by-step.

The attached pic shows what happens to my settings every time OE is closed and re-started.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2004, 10:23:35 AM »
That's how avast! Mail Protection works (and many other antiviruses as well, btw) - the mail client is redirected to 127.0.0.1 (local computer) where avast! is listening. avast! accepts the connection, performs any necessary scanning and forwards the request to the real server.
If the mail client settings are not changed, avast! cannot scan the e-mail.

shaner

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2004, 02:38:11 PM »
Okay.  So it works by not letting me get my e-mail at all?  That's 100% effective then. ;)  I kid.

Anyways, how do I get this thing to work the way it's supposed to?  I believe this is the same problem the original poster is having.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2004, 03:46:30 PM »
Hi Shaner (my Canadian neighbour) and autumnleaves...
WELCOME TO FORUM YOU BOTH !!!

Try to set all those inbound and outbound data and account name and passowrd as it was before you installed avast! (your sympatico information). Click APPLY and OK, and close Outlook Express...

Go into your avast! directory and manually start ashPOPwz.exe file.
Click NEXT and under BASIC SETTINGS choose AUTOMATICALLY PROTECT ALL MY ACCOUNTS and put checkmark under AUTOMATICALLY PROTECT ALL MY ACCOUNTS THAT I CREATE IN THE FUTURE. Click NEXT again. Under smtp  server settings, type your smtp server name (in your case Sympatico's smtp data)... under default POP3 server input your default pop server name (it doesn't have to be Sympatico if your primary e-mail address is somewhere else). If your primary e-mail account is at Symaptico, then input your Sympatico pop3 server name...
Click NEXT, then FINISH and that's it...

When you open your Outlook Express again, go to tools/ACCOUNTS and choose to see properties of your default e-mail account. Click on SERVER tab and you should see 127.0.0.1 under both, incoming and outgoing mail settings. Those settings are correct. Under account name, you shoud see something like on screenshot you posted in here (YourAccountLoginName#pop3.sympatico.ca)
Type your password again into password box just to be sure...
Take a look below... under Outoging mail server section... If your server requires authentication, check that checkmark and set those settings as they should be set...

I hope this helps... we all have set those settings like that and everything works just great... avast! rulez !!!

In case it doesn't help you, please post again and tell us if you use some of those spam killers, and exactly which one...

Cheers !
« Last Edit: March 08, 2004, 03:47:54 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

shaner

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2004, 04:06:14 PM »
Thank you.  That did the trick nicely for me.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2004, 04:25:44 PM »
I knew it's going to work... it's just I wasn't too sure because I'm not so avast! educated like these Alwil guys... way to go Alwil !!!

I wanted to try to help you untill they find some spare time to give you right answer. They are very, very busy, so I hope you'll understand it.
Stick around and don't think about diching avast! You'll find all answers in here... sometimes it just takes some time to get those, but you'll always end up with solution...

I'm glad I could help... autumnleaves ? Is your problem still there ?

Cheers !