Author Topic: Can't play game because Avast deletes it's secureROM file.  (Read 6119 times)

wtk

Can't play game because Avast deletes it's secureROM file.
« on: October 28, 2007, 12:12:56 PM »
Heya all.

Beforehand, I know this is not the game, it's Avast causing the problem.
The game is Company of Heroes - Opposing Front (bought it yesterday).
After I install and try to play, game will minimize to Vista desktop, and Avast (Home Edition) will alert me that rs.dll is a virus and will not execute it. rs.dll is the game's validation process call SecureROM. Without that file, the game cannot validate my copy of the game.

I tried adding it in the exclusion list - the dvd drive, destination game directory, wherever I can think the rs.dll file might end up. I even disabled the resident shield scanner, but it still detects the file as a virus. ???

Please, please can anyone give me some ideas on this. I would hate to change to another anti-virus after 3 years, just to play a game. :'(

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Can't play game because Avast deletes it's secureROM file.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 12:23:14 PM »
Please submit the file in question to virus@avast.com, it might be a false positive...

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 01:00:32 PM »
From what i've read on the Relic forums the game should work without the rs.dll file as long as you are connected to the internet ...

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=167391 (Scroll down to reply #11)

Offline Maxx_original

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 09:41:19 AM »
this FP wil be fixed soon.. you can add the library to exclusions list temporarilly...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 08:00:00 PM »
you can add the library to exclusions list temporarilly...
You need to use the Exclusion lists:

For the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning):
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...

For the other providers (on-demand scanning such as the screen-saver or the Simple User Interface):
Right click the 'a' blue icon, click Program Settings.
Go to Exclusions tab and click on Add button...

You can use wildcards like * and ?.
But be careful, you should 'exclude' that many files that let your system in danger.
The best things in life are free.

wtk

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 08:33:44 PM »
Thank you all for the quick replies! :) :) :) :)

To Vlk: I will send the file asap. I'm sure it will recognize the file as a false positive in the next VPS update.

To Darth_Mikey: Not really. That file is used to validate the correct media inserted to play the game off- or on-line. Avast just deletes the file, which causes the game's SecureROM to say that there's no DVD in the try to validate.

To Maxx_original and Tech: No go on that unfortunately. I have c:\Program Files\THQ, c:\Program Files\THQ\Company of Heroesc:\Program Files\THQ\Company of Heroes\rs and c:\Program Files\THQ\Company of Heroes\rs\rs.dll set up in exclusions. Avast still pops up the message saying it's a virus. Even rebooted the pc, still the same.

Only thing that did work, and I really had to do as last resort, was to pause the Standard Shield. Game runs, and I'm able to play. I see there's a new VPS updated while writing this, so I'll go and see if that sorted out the problem. Otherwise, I'll have to pause the Standard Shield each time... :-\

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 08:51:09 PM »
There are two exclusions one caters for the on-demand scans and One in the Standard Shield that caters for on-access (as Tech mentioned in his post).

Either you have not added it to the standard shield exclusions or what you have entered is incorrect.

If you have added it to the standard shield, advanced, add, then please post the text of what you have entered so we can check it.

Try c:\Program Files\*\rs\rs.dll or c:\Progra~1\*\rs\rs.dll and see if that works.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 09:35:55 PM »
To Maxx_original and Tech: No go on that unfortunately. I have c:\Program Files\THQ, c:\Program Files\THQ\Company of Heroesc:\Program Files\THQ\Company of Heroes\rs and c:\Program Files\THQ\Company of Heroes\rs\rs.dll set up in exclusions. Avast still pops up the message saying it's a virus. Even rebooted the pc, still the same.
Use wildcards as stated in help files or David's advices 8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Maxx_original

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 11:20:22 PM »
wtk: you must wait for the next VPS... i was not able to add the fixed detection without any tests..

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 04:11:27 PM »
Try c:\Program Files\*\rs\rs.dll or c:\Progra~1\*\rs\rs.dll and see if that works.

Btw, the easiest solution (regarding short/long path experiments) should be copying the path from the "Virus found!" dialog - because it shows the path used to access the file (at least I hope so ;)).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 05:24:14 PM »
Thanks for the tip, I thought the path in the dialogue was concatenated when it is too long, but I now see it can be copied in its entirety.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security