Author Topic: newbie with questions  (Read 3526 times)

LS1 PWRD

newbie with questions
« on: March 06, 2004, 07:20:04 PM »
I've been running 'Avast' for a few weeks now and every time I hear an update has been downloaded I run 'Avast' manually.

Is this necessary?

When I run 'Avast" it finds 4 'MyDoom' viruses. I believe this is something I have told 'Avast' to do as I tell it to 'Rename and Move'.

Is this the correct thing to do?

I just now moved the 'Infected' files to the 'Chest' and did the same with the 'User' files, for a total of 7 files.

Should I have done this?

The infected file names are as follows;

[UPX].vir
saukq.pif
unp1456
unp4667

The last 2 are worm files according to the listing and the first 2 are Unp files, whatever that means.

Should I delete these files as "Avast" find them or move them directly to the 'Chest'?

Many thanks for the help.

Neil

Summoner Yuna

Re:newbie with questions
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2004, 07:51:11 PM »
run the avast virus cleaner to kill mydoom. avaliable form the avast home page. avast can be set to update itself automatically others will tell you how to do that

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:newbie with questions
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2004, 09:53:48 PM »
I've been running 'Avast' for a few weeks now and every time I hear an update has been downloaded I run 'Avast' manually.
Is this necessary?

Maybe, if you already has an infected file in your computer with a new virus that was not detected by the 'old' virus database, then a full scanning will be very good. But, the majority of the times (almost ever), it won't be necessary if your on-access settings are well configurated. I suggest a full scanning each week or twice a month. In the Pro version you will be able to schedule scannings when you are not at the computer. The cleaning could be set to automatic there too.

When I run 'Avast" it finds 4 'MyDoom' viruses. I believe this is something I have told 'Avast' to do as I tell it to 'Rename and Move'.
Is this the correct thing to do?

Better is delete the file or send it to Chest. Look the Mrs. Yuna suggests and run the avast! Cleaner.

I just now moved the 'Infected' files to the 'Chest' and did the same with the 'User' files, for a total of 7 files.
Should I have done this?
The infected file names are as follows;

[UPX].vir
saukq.pif
unp1456
unp4667

The last 2 are worm files according to the listing and the first 2 are Unp files, whatever that means.

Should I delete these files as "Avast" find them or move them directly to the 'Chest'?

Everytime that you are not sure, you can send the files to Chest and ask for help .
Wellcome to forums.
The best things in life are free.