Author Topic: Latest update slowed down Vista 32x  (Read 31469 times)

dex

Re: Latest update slowed down Vista 32x
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2007, 03:39:19 PM »
Tech, Igor

1. What about your Standard Shield problem, you can't blame ZA for that. Are you going to fix that problem soon?

2. Can you recommend an alternate free firewall that is compatible with Avast? I could always fall back on the Windows Firewall, but as you know, it only blocks inbound traffic, not outbound.

I have been using Avast on my previous computer (XP) with Kerio Personal Firewall for more than 2 years without any problems. Unfortunately KPF does not work with Vista; the company that bought it from Kerio says it will be available in December 07, but I need something in the meantime, and I am not sure I want to be a guinea pig for a new product.

Your help will be appreciated.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2007, 03:46:48 PM »
Tech, Igor
Igor is from the staff. I'm an user like you...

1. What about your Standard Shield problem, you can't blame ZA for that. Are you going to fix that problem soon?
Which problem?

2. Can you recommend an alternate free firewall that is compatible with Avast? I could always fall back on the Windows Firewall, but as you know, it only blocks inbound traffic, not outbound.
Right now there are only three free firewalls for Vista: Comodo (beta), PcTools and ZA.
I've tested the two first ones. No luck.
I'm staying with Vista Firewall configuring the outbound connections in the Advanced mode. I have no other option.
The best things in life are free.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2007, 03:48:42 PM »
Vista firewall is a basic two way firewall now..  That is currently my only firewall as I have found none that are to the standard I require.  Zonealarm is doing either the free version or the suite with no middle ground.  Vista ultimate and no slow down or crashes  

I have no other option.
Concur Tech

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2007, 03:52:19 PM »
I have no other option.
Concur Tech
Did you found any tutorial to configure all the entries on the advanced mode?
I'm sure that if they are tweaked, the leak tests results will be improved on Vista firewall.
Just I did not found (yet) a good tutorial for each entry and I'm not a network guru :'(

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2007, 04:07:10 PM »
This is the closest I got to a tutorial http://www.e-articles.info/e/a/title/Windows-Vista-Firewall:-Bidirectional-Protection/

But I just allow or deny as I determine

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2007, 04:13:36 PM »
Here is the advanced option a green means I have allowed greyed out means barred

sded

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2007, 04:40:54 PM »
Try the current Comodo 3.0.10 beta.  It is the last beta before the release candidate and is very stable, few issues.   I am using it with no real problems, no Avast! conflicts/slowdowns in particular.
2. Can you recommend an alternate free firewall that is compatible with Avast? I could always fall back on the Windows Firewall, but as you know, it only blocks inbound traffic, not outbound.[/quote]
Right now there are only three free firewalls for Vista: Comodo (beta), PcTools and ZA.
I've tested the two first ones. No luck.
I'm staying with Vista Firewall configuring the outbound connections in the Advanced mode. I have no other option.
[/quote]

dex

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2007, 05:02:49 PM »
Tech

Re Standard Shield problem: see Vik's Reply # 16, Oct. 30/07.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2007, 05:55:35 PM »
This is the closest I got to a tutorial
Thanks. I'll take a look. But I wish a list of the 'default' settings and then a list of the 'suggested tweak' settings. There are tons of defaults (inbound and outbound) here: Administrative Tools >
Windows Firewall with Advanced Security.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2007, 06:01:42 PM »
Re Standard Shield problem: see Vik's Reply # 16, Oct. 30/07.
Thanks. I've forgotten this. Anyway, I'm on Vista and can't even simulate the problem. They can't either... so, seems that the users can, kindly, give them more info to solve any trouble.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2007, 07:47:24 PM »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

dex

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2007, 01:16:10 AM »
Vik

As suggested by Tech, I uninstalled ZA and activated Windows Vista Firewall. This produced an improvement, but it is still much longer than before the last update. Just now I downloaded and installed the new driver provided by Vik.  It is a bit better, but still not as before. Here is what I did after installing the new driver. I shut down and re-opened the computer. Here is a timeline of what then happened from the time that I entired my password:

1. Time to open Outlook (it is in my startup folder): 15 sec. - acceptable

2. Time for the Avast icon in the system tray to stop turning: 35 sec.

3. For 1 minute from login, the CPU meter in the gadget sidebar fluctuates wildly between 10 and 100%.

4. For another minute, the CPU meter fluctuates less often, and only up to 50%; then it sits just above 0.

5. Then I opened IE; it took a full 25 seconds for anything to happen, i.e. for the bare window to open, then another 15 seconds to load up my home page. This the most unacceptable performance

6. I then opened Excel and it came on instantly.

7. I finally hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete to access the Task Manager; that took about 15 seconds; I think this is on the slow side.

I hope this data will be helpful to you in resolving the slowness problem that has appeared with the last version of Avast.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2007, 01:29:35 AM »
Vik
It's Vlk (VLK), not Vik. Just a minor correction

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2007, 10:28:00 AM »
Again, I have to repeat: for us to analyze the problem, we need the memory dump.
Please see this post: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=31185.msg259127#msg259127

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

bhobski

« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2007, 08:49:41 AM »
Hey guys, I'm having slowdown problems as well.  Windows Vista Home premium, no Zone Alarm.  Everything was running fine until I updated (I've been ignoring the upgrade message for awhile).  Now I get slowdowns when launching programs and windows apps, usually on the first time load or after the computer sits for awhile.  The programs sometimes go to "Not Responding" then after about 2 minutes slowly start to respond... if I try to alt-ctrl-del to check the windows task manager the icon takes about 2 min to appear, but the task manager doesn't.... If I reboot I can get it to pop up instantly.

Just for giggles I disabled the VRDB and that helped a little and if I disable On-Access Protection everything is speedy again.  I hope this is the problem because the puter is only a few months old and was running flawlessly.