Author Topic: Latest update slowed down Vista 32x  (Read 31467 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Latest update slowed down Vista 32x
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2007, 12:39:03 PM »
Would you be able to create the memory dump and send it to our FTP server, as Vlk described earlier in this thread?
Thanks.

bhobski

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2007, 05:22:08 PM »
Would you be able to create the memory dump and send it to our FTP server, as Vlk described earlier in this thread?
Thanks.

I will give it a shot tonight after I get home from work.   

B

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2007, 11:33:14 PM »
Also please check out this driver patch: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=31314.0

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

bhobski

« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2007, 05:09:01 PM »
ummm.... I did a memory dump and it's like 2 gigs.  I can send it if you really need it... in the mean time I'll try that alternative file.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2007, 05:40:21 PM »
ummm.... I did a memory dump and it's like 2 gigs.  I can send it if you really need it... in the mean time I'll try that alternative file.
The preferred way for submitting samples is e-mail (or sending them from Chest). Although, you can use Alwil FTP server as a second way to transfer only big files. Upload them to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming (please, note that you won't have READ access to the ftp server, just write - so you won't even be able to see what you've just uploaded).

You can (must) zip the dump files before.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2007, 05:59:28 PM »
@ bhobski
It will be large as it is the complete RAM size, it should however compress very well, try zip, rar or 7zip, try to make the file name that you upload unique, like bhobski_vista_dmp.zip, etc.

@ Tech
Igor asked bhobski to upload to the FTP.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bhobski

« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2007, 09:35:52 PM »
Hehe, ok no worries I was just surprised it was so big.

Bob

dex

« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2007, 02:18:28 AM »
I am still experiencing the same problems, same as well described by bhobski on Nov 6. The problem seems at its worse when I first open the PC and new definitions are downloaded from Avast. In fact, since yesterday, just after this download is complete, after the box stating the database has been updated, I get a brand new box stating the following:

"C\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\VisthAux.exe.
This operation returned because the time-out expired."

Can this help you?

I am leary about playing in the Registry to do the dump you are asking for. I don't see why you cannot re-create the problem on your own Vista machines.

I also have downloaded and installed the latest driver (2007-11-07) - no difference.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2007, 03:43:21 AM »
<snip>
I am leary about playing in the Registry to do the dump you are asking for. I don't see why you cannot re-create the problem on your own Vista machines.
<snip>

I believe it is because their machines won't have the same setup or applications that you have and might be specific to your system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bhobski

« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2007, 04:00:04 PM »
Well, I WAS uploading the file dump, I keep getting booted off the FTP server after a few minutes.   The file a little over 1 gig zipped and will take a long time.

This slowdown was pretty basic that I took the dump (that sounded really bad...lol it's early):

Upon Windows Vista first loading, when the Sidebar takes too long to appear, and the user presses Alt-Ctrl-Del to bring up the Task Manager the computer freezes.   The screen to access the Task Manager takes 2+ minutes to appear and the Task Manager takes another 2+ minutes.

This bug also occurs if the Sidebar appears and the user mouses over the Weather Bug gadget to refresh the temp.  The gadget freezes and turns white for approximately 40 seconds while I assume it's freezing.

Slowdowns appear on most programs but these are the first ones I usually notice.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 04:04:36 PM by bhobski »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2007, 06:36:39 PM »
Well, I WAS uploading the file dump, I keep getting booted off the FTP server after a few minutes.   The file a little over 1 gig zipped and will take a long time.

Do you have any web/ftp space where you could place the file so that we could download it?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

bhobski

« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2007, 09:33:22 PM »
No sorry, but having said that the new driver file seems to have solved the problem

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2007, 09:54:12 PM »
You could try a file sharing site.
- Rapidshare file upload (free) - http://rapidshare.com useful if you haven't got any web space.
- 4shared.com - free file sharing and storage - http://www.4shared.com/