Author Topic: run scheduled scans later when PC is shut down  (Read 2013 times)

Offline biohazard

run scheduled scans later when PC is shut down
« on: December 21, 2021, 11:10:09 AM »
Hey folks!

Is there a way to automatically run scheduled scans later when PC is turned of at scheduled time?
I have something in mind like: If PC is turned off at scheduled time, run scan when PC is turned on and virus update has run.

If there is no such feature right now, could AVAST please consider to make/include it? Would be awesome!

Regards!!!

Offline Heewoon

• Staying safe from malware with Avast
Re: run scheduled scans later when PC is shut down
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 02:31:08 AM »
Good suggestion!  :)
I also want this, but I don't think Avast will know that your PC is "turned off" as it is "turned off" since the PC is "turned off".
This might be confusing, but I think it is something to remember though.
I also want that so much, since that would save time, you don't have to run scans manually and wait when you just turned on the PC but you're a second late to logging in.
Windows 11, Avast Free Antivirus. Avast One => Avast Free Antivirus. Currently using Avast Free. Antiviruses: Windows Defender => Avast One(WinDefender deactivated) => Avast One uninstall => WinDefender was activated again => Avast Free Antivirus

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2021, 02:45:21 AM »
@     biohazard
The only scan that Avast runs that comes anywhere close to this is a boot time scan (but it isn't scheduled) you initiate it and it boots into safe mode to run the scan.  This is in the Avast Antivirus, I'm not sure if the function is in Avast One.

In all honesty I have no idea why you would want to do this ? 
I rarely if ever run on-demand scans, outside of in response to forum questions.

With a resident (on-access) scanner the need for on-demand scans is much depreciated. For the most part dormant/inert files are being scanned, the other active files are going to be scanned by the resident shields when they are activated. 

The File System Shield, scan executable files when they are created, modified or before they are allowed to run/opened. Outside of this the files are essentially dormant.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline biohazard

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 12:24:58 PM »
@ David R

you are right with files being dormant until they are executed. In your scenario is a chance that you have malware/viruses on your system, that isn't detected because the files weren't executed. I don't like that scenario!
Plus, you could transfer the malware to other systems.
The sheer fact, that there are multiple forms of on demand scans included in the product shows that the devs had something in mind making these. At least peace of mind of the person using the product.

So if there or some forms of on demand scans, I want to use them, and I want them to use automated (fire and forget). I want to create and schedule the scans and want to know they are executed as scheduled.
If PC isn't turned on at the scheduled time, I want the scan to be executed next time the PC is on. Simple as that.

I don't think it's an problem not solvable, many other AVs can do it.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2022, 02:23:59 PM »
Plus, you could transfer the malware to other systems.
Files are scanned when you access / save / move