Author Topic: AVAST kills LogMeIn software  (Read 24012 times)

RTI

AVAST kills LogMeIn software
« on: November 01, 2007, 11:48:36 PM »
This afternoon's update killed logmein remote software.  Latest database classifies LogMeIn as malware.  This needs to be fixed! Has cost customers hundreds of $!

cesanne

Re: AVAST kills LogMeIn software
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 11:53:21 PM »
Same experience.  Please correct ASAP.

Offline Maxx_original

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 11:53:52 PM »
ook.. but we need to know more infos... can you post here the url of the software and send the particular file in a password protected archive to virus[at]avast[dot]com? fill in "false positive" as a subject..

RTI

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 11:57:45 PM »
The website is www.logmein.com and it detects several files.  LMIPORT.dll and LMIFSCLIENTNP.dll  It is causing the computers to run extremely slow.  I have had both running well together until today's update.  The LogMeIn forums are starting to talk about it as well.

Offline Maxx_original

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 12:07:02 AM »
add the lm* files from the program directory to exclusions temporarilly and wait for the next VPS... we will fix that FP and add the files to our cleanset..

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 12:12:12 AM »
I'm using logmein right now to make this post from my remote controlled computer, I'm not having any problems.  I have the latest avast! update.  No pop ups from avast!.  I haven't run an on demand scan with avast! though.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 12:17:46 AM by rdmaloyjr »

cesanne

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 12:31:04 AM »
LogMeIn is available at logmein.com.  (LogMeIn, Inc. was formerly known as 3am Labs, Inc., the developer of RemotelyAnywhere.)  LogMeIn is a very secure commercial remote control/access software available in multiple versions and continuously updated.  (The software is available free with the service; a free version of service is also available.)

I had a client today on whose computer Avast popped up multiple different messages regarding different LogMeIn files, including "LMIport.dll" located in in the Windows\System32 folder which it called "Win32:Agent-MVH [Rtk]"

On my computer, Avast stopped on "LMIRfsClientNP.dll" located in same folder, calling it a 'Rootkit' ("Win32:Lmir-PG [Rtk]")

Upon attaching files, Avast stopped on two more in same (System32) folder:
"LMIinit.dll" labelled "Win32:Vundo-gen53 [Adw]" and
"LMImirr.dll" labelled "Win32:Lmir-PF [Rtk]"

The VPS version is 071101-0, 11/01/2007
I would upload files, but Avast has apparantly blocked access.  I will boot with util disk to get.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 12:57:36 AM »
I'm using the free version of logmein remote & avast! 4.7.1074, VPS version is 071101-0, 11/01/2007.
No problems. :)

aj8690

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 02:03:11 AM »
This is a big problem!  I have Avast and LogMeIn installed on many clients' PCs and I have been getting calls all day "HelP!!! My computer has a virus!!" 

Very frustrating.  I would really appreciate it if you guys could fix this with the next update!

I'm going to email you the false positive files in case nobody else did.

techserv

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 03:02:27 AM »
This is EXTREMELY irritating  >:(.  Almost all of my clients' computers run Avast and LogMeIn.  I have spent all afternoon setting up exclusions and will likely spend all day tomorrow and the next day patching my clients' computers.  And, of course since Avast is blocking LogMeIn on all of these computers, I get to do them all ON-SITE!!! Even if Alwil comes out with another update to fix this, the damage is already done since most of my customers delete files that are determined to be a virus which means I will have to re-install LogMeIn on those machines. This little issue is going to end up costing me a lot of money. 

I have been using Avast for a long time.  I can't believe they would be this irresponsible with their updates.  It's not like LogMeIn is a little un-heard of company.  They have been around a long time and have millions of users.

Time to start looking for another anti-virus solution...

jreins

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 05:12:19 AM »
This issue needs to be addressed ASAP. Two of my home PCs are dead, and a number of my family's PCs are having trouble as well since today's update. All have LogMeIn installed and all are being alerted for viruses. In one case, the PC crashes due to Avast trying to do something about a 'supposed' infection.

This is very sad. I got rid of other AVs due to false positives, but this one is much more crippling that others I have experienced. This needs to be corrected ASAP.

jreins

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 05:19:51 AM »
Can one of the Mods flag this as urgent, or whatever to get it addressed ASAP?!

This is a major issue that is going to cause widespread issues, as more than just home users use LogMeIn.

This false positive will be crippling within the next 24 hrs and needs to be resolved ASAP.

jreins

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 05:59:06 AM »
add the lm* files from the program directory to exclusions temporarilly and wait for the next VPS... we will fix that FP and add the files to our cleanset..

Maxx... without having to reinstall the app, can the 'damage' be reversed by the next vps update? I would imagine no, but I am hoping for the best!

If not, will we just have to have users move files from the chest back to their old loc?

Thanks!

aarbog2020

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 06:53:53 AM »
We are having the same problems. Additionally, on some computers, the computer locks up when trying to log in via LogMeIn. Other computers are locking up upon bootup! Please fix ASAP.

Thanks,
Aaron

GerbilJammer

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 08:29:41 AM »
Odd thing is. I am using Log Me In free and have had no problems. If everyone could post which version of Log Me In they are using to help with the situation.