Author Topic: AVAST kills LogMeIn software  (Read 24014 times)

paulorox

Re: AVAST kills LogMeIn software
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2007, 09:14:16 AM »
I am using LogMeIn Free Version 3.0.606 and having the same problems reported here.

Offline Maxx_original

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 09:14:45 AM »
jreins: you can recover the files from chest, if you've selected the action "move to chest"... anyway - if the FP occurs only with a commercial version or even one concrete build, then is hard for us to keep the cleanset fresh... that's nothing against our apologize for this annoying situation, sorry for that.. can you confirm, that the FP is now solved with the last VPS? btw: thanx for the files, we will add them to our cleanset.

paulorox

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2007, 09:39:54 AM »
I have upgraded my LogMeIn Free client to version 4.0.667 and my Avast VPS version is 071102-0.

It now seems to be running fine.

Thanks for the quick update.

ikearcher

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2007, 01:10:52 PM »
I had the same problem with LogMeIn & AVAST.  I added the files to the exclusion list but that made little difference when the PC is loading everything.  I received the warning box, and no matter what option I chose everything froze up & had to do a hard reset. 

I ended up just "Pausing" the Standard Shield and have not had any further problems.  I'm relying on Counterspy & process monitor for active protection.  I'm just going to leave Avast to watch email.

dan

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2007, 01:40:07 PM »
I had the same problem with LogMeIn & AVAST.  I added the files to the exclusion list but that made little difference when the PC is loading everything.  I received the warning box, and no matter what option I chose everything froze up & had to do a hard reset. 

I ended up just "Pausing" the Standard Shield and have not had any further problems.  I'm relying on Counterspy & process monitor for active protection.  I'm just going to leave Avast to watch email.

dan

Did you add them to the on access exclusions list?

Left click the "a" icon, select standard shield, customize button, advanved tab.

Ximinez

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2007, 03:10:52 PM »
We are having the same problems. Additionally, on some computers, the computer locks up when trying to log in via LogMeIn. Other computers are locking up upon bootup! Please fix ASAP.

Thanks,
Aaron

I saw this with my own PC last night (running LMI Free) when I was stuck at the "Connecting ... Please wait while a connection to My PC is established" screen for over 5 min and then couldn't break the failed connection from my PC once I got home because I had enabled remote screen blanking so I was forced to shutdown my computer by pressing-holding my power button for 8 sec.

When I tried rebooting the PC this morning, it locked up as well.  As expected, avast kicked in and flagged the two LMI*.dll files but I was able to tell avast to do nothing with them. I then disabled and re-enabled LMI and all is good again ... for now.

Virus database @ VPS 071102-0 ...

BTW, there is an active thread over at the LMI forum about this issue:

https://secure.logmein.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=11338 (you have to be logged in as a registered user to view it)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 03:37:07 PM by Ximinez »

jreins

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2007, 04:18:50 PM »
jreins: you can recover the files from chest, if you've selected the action "move to chest"... anyway - if the FP occurs only with a commercial version or even one concrete build, then is hard for us to keep the cleanset fresh... that's nothing against our apologize for this annoying situation, sorry for that.. can you confirm, that the FP is now solved with the last VPS? btw: thanx for the files, we will add them to our cleanset.

Maxx... thanks a bunch... you guys are doing great. The new release took care of everything. Best part is the LMI app was not affected as long as a connection attempt was not tried or if the PC was not rebooted...

In other words... no LMI connect or reboot, no problem! Some of the PCs I were concerned with are safe and didnt even notice the issue. Others can be addressed, but for the most part, this FP was nowhere near as damaging as it could have been for me and probably others, and even if it had been, it was nothing like I have experienced with other AV providers. Thanks again for the lightning fast response and attention to this issue.

Jason

captaine_kirk

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2007, 04:38:54 PM »
Hi all, i have the same problem :

01/11/2007 19:10:25   SYSTEM   596   Sign of "Win32:Lmir-PG [Rtk]" has been found in "C:\WINDOWS\system32\LMIRfsClientNP.dll" file. 
01/11/2007 19:10:53   SYSTEM   596   Sign of "Win32:Agent-MVH [Rtk]" has been found in "C:\WINDOWS\system32\LMIport.dll" file. 
01/11/2007 19:12:18   admin   1884   Sign of "Win32:Vundo-gen53 [Adw]" has been found in "c:\windows\system32\lmiinit.dll" file.

I have sent an email to logmein customer support and this is their answer :

Hi,

As of 10/31/07, the latest version of Avast’s virus definitions has falsely identified some versions of the LogMeIn executables as being a virus.  This is not the case, and your computer has not been infected by any malware in relation to this warning.

Avast has been notified of this false-positive, and is working to correct the error.  Please disregard any messaging in Avast regarding LogMeIn until your next definition update.

More information on their issue can be found in there support forum's posting on this:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=31255.0

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Thank you,
Wendy Merrifield
LogMeIn Customer Support

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2007, 10:55:03 PM »
I'm also using LogMeIn (Free) and i haven't encountered any problems with FP detection.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

cpupro

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2007, 11:57:19 PM »
I would like to add something to this thread. I too had this problem, I was alerted and did the necessary steps to detect and moved said files to the "virus chest". It was then suggested to do a "boot" virus scan which I did and it successfully found all files that were being called "ad-ware/key logger" or whatever the problem was. It moved the files to the chest that I agreed upon, finished and then booted up. :o

What I want to compliment on is that this is the first time, other than testing with "eicar" files, that I have seen how well this program works. It was great, it stepped you through all the processes and posted the information that you needed to know in a timely manner. It returned the system to login and went from there! :)

I want to thank you guys for making a great product! ;D This is fantastic that I got to see what a great amount of effort on your part is put into this application! ;D

Keep up the good work!! :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2007, 01:59:44 AM »
Here, running Vista 32 bits, LogMeIn free, no problems with false positives.
Are you using the last virus database version?
The best things in life are free.

cpupro

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2007, 02:12:34 AM »
The computer that I had this on was XPSP2 with LogMeIn Free and IT. I had what I thought were the latest at that point but I didn't put the version down. I still have all the files in the "virus chest" and the program is operational. I didn't know if someone wanted to look at them so I kept them until such time.

I came home today and I checked everything that was reporting problems yesterday, it had updated and there were no further problems. :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2007, 02:18:21 AM »
I still have all the files in the "virus chest" and the program is operational.
If you right click the files and scan them again, are they shown as infected?

I came home today and I checked everything that was reporting problems yesterday, it had updated and there were no further problems. :)
Glad they seem to be corrected the false positive...
The best things in life are free.

cpupro

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2007, 02:27:29 AM »
What I did today when I got home was do just that, I went and scanned the files that were giving me a problem and it didn't show as being infected. :)

It just updated again as I am writing this so I believe we are past the issues. :)

cpupro

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2007, 02:44:03 AM »
One thing that I did want to say though is that when a virus is found and the option to send it to Avast is there, the file and a note, it doesn't go through MAPI at all, this is what happens everytime. Is this address still the correct one?

"Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients."

Subject:   avast!
      Sent:   11/2/2007 6:38 PM

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

'virus@avast.com' on 11/2/2007 6:38 PM
            None of your e-mail accounts could send to this recipient.