Author Topic: Boot scan questions  (Read 2991 times)

Will91

Boot scan questions
« on: October 26, 2007, 05:27:53 AM »
Hello friends:

I had a few questions I hope you all can help me with.

1) in simple terms, how does the boot scan differ from an on-demand thorough scan?  I have noticed that my recent boot scans displays only a few log entries but a thorough on-demand scan turns up many "unable to scan" files.  Are they scanning different portions of the hard drive?
2) Below is the log file from the boot scan.  I'm not too concerned about MusicMatch because this was a Dell program that came pre-installed that I never use anyway but I don't understand what the corrupt CHM file is or if it should be of concern to me.

Thanks!

Scan of all local drives
File C:\i386\article.chm\hn_topology24.gif Error 42136 {CHM archive is corrupted.}
File C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\Musicmatch Music Services\Musicmatch Update\TDM\TDMInstall.exe\Wise0013.bin Error 42146 {Installer archive is corrupted.}
File C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\Musicmatch Music Services\Musicmatch Update\WMP\tdm\TDMInstall.exe\Wise0013.bin Error 42146 {Installer archive is corrupted.}
File C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Update\MMJB\TDM\TDMInstall.exe\Wise0010.bin Error 42146 {Installer archive is corrupted.}
File C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Update\TDM\TDMInstall.exe\Wise0010.bin Error 42146 {Installer archive is corrupted.}

Number of searched folders: 4592
Number of tested files: 190103
Number of infected files: 0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Boot scan questions
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 03:26:01 PM »
1. basically it is run before windows starts, so I guess some of the logging might not be done as the avast logging won't be active, hence the use of a text file specific to the boot-time scan. Though I have never spent much time worrying about it to consider investigating it fully.

Not all of the packers can be used in a boot-time so some of the archive types won't be scanned, also if you don't select scan archives when you schedule the boot-time scan that will reduce the scanned files.

2. CHM are help files.
There is nothing to worry about as avast is only reporting it couldn't scan them not that they are infected, etc. and t could be as simple as it couldn't fully open the archive, so it reports corrupt archive rather than 'I can't open/extract this archive, etc.).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 03:37:03 PM »
Are they scanning different portions of the hard drive?
No. But some files could be in use in normal scanning. In the boot time scanning some type or archive files aren't unpacked and scanning due to absence of the driver at boot time.

I don't understand what the corrupt CHM file is or if it should be of concern to me.
Don't worry... 8)
The best things in life are free.

CharleyO

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 07:18:03 PM »

Using CHM as the search word, the results at the link below should answer all your questions about CHM. Remember, Google is your friend.    :)

http://g.s.scandoo.com/search?hl=en&meta=on&q=CHM

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 07:26:38 PM »
The CHM file may indeed be corrupted (truncated, for example) - but there's no need to worry about it.

Regarding the TDMInstall.exe file... well, I checked it, and found out that the problem is caused by the fact that the installer archive is multi-volume (split into multiple files). When avast! arrives at the end of the first (exe) file, it sees just the end... and doesn't know it's continuing elsewhere (therefore, it announces the file as corrupted, because it seems truncated). I must say I'm not sure what to do about it... the only general solution would be disabling these warning altogether.

Will91

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 03:46:07 AM »
Thank you everyone for this helpful information.