Author Topic: avast4 free and windows 98  (Read 3883 times)

avast4lt

avast4 free and windows 98
« on: November 01, 2007, 01:11:16 AM »
I have installed avast 4 free on an windows 98 desktop PC and all runs fine. I can browse, get updates, etc OK. When I browse the internet I noticed the there was no last scanned file and count was Zero in the Web shield provider when I clicked the blue ball on the taskbar. The count had increased in the standard shield an the last scanned file was a file in internet temp folders of PC.
I searched your web pages and forum pages for help and came accross the need in Windows98 to set localhost proxy server on port 12080. I did this as per your webpages an all appeared to work fine. The count incremented in the web shield information page and last scanned was the url of the last web page viewed. All seemed to work ok until I shutdown the PC and restarted again. When I went into IE connections the tick was cleared from "use proxy etc field" and the web shield was not incrementing. If I set the proxy in the connections page again all worked again.  ??  I was wondering why the settings are being lost as I restart the computer.  Or is there some where I need to save them first ???
Also if I open a dos command window and do "netstat -a" I can see 12080 in the list whether it is set in IE explorer or not ??

Would be grateful if could get some help please....... Thanks

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
Re: avast4 free and windows 98
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 02:04:47 AM »
I too have Avast! on 98SE and proxy settings are not being lost in IE or FF. Only immediate thought is do you have any other security app that silently blocks persitent changes to IE settings?
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 12:45:20 PM »
do you have any other security app that silently blocks persitent changes to IE settings?
Like Spybot, for instance...
The best things in life are free.

Offline Maxx_original

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 12:51:21 PM »
btw: the question is also - why to use an OS, not supported by its developer anymore?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 12:53:38 PM »
btw: the question is also - why to use an OS, not supported by its developer anymore?
Maybe the best it can run with the hardware he has...

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 02:18:38 AM »
Okay Maxx_original - I've been holding back 'till now but the more I think about it, the more the question begs to be asked. ;D
Would you not expect to find 98SE users posting on the support forum for one of the 2 remaining free AV products available for that OS?  ???
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 02:48:37 AM by Vladimyr »

avast4lt

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 02:55:50 AM »
Thanks for the response, it got us talking anyway !. I tried changing various setting in explorer and they all stayed after restart. The only one that was always missing was the tick in the box "Use a proxy for your LAN". I went to windows update an downloaded some updates and it explorer works OK now ??, but I am now getting start up error OCX cant register dll files. msaado.dll, sqlxmbx.dll and sqloledb.dll, when i startup "Parentalfilter" software. Ihave uninstalled and reinstalled parentfilter but still same.

The PC is my old windows 98 machine, I also have an XP using avast OK.
I had cleared the win98 out, formated it and reinstalled win98 etc as a basic computer for a grand child for very basic work and simple games etc.
I think it would be simpler now to clear it out again and do a new install ??? as there is not much data on it.................

I had AVG free on the win98 PC before I tried Avast, but Avg slowed it down
The win98 PC runs faster with Avast.

I originally had Avg on the XP machine but have now changed to Avast and runs OK. 

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 07:28:12 AM »
Some current programs that claim to still work with 98SE are not necessarily fully compatible. AVG 7.5 is one and ParentalFilter my well be another.

Do you need to use IE at all on that machine? Firefox 1.5 is good on 98SE. K-Meleon is lighter-on-resources option.
Are the specs so meagre that XP is not an option?

pixturesk

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 01:05:17 PM »
I have been using Avast Free, along with Sygate Personal Firewall with Win98SE, works perfectly, also using Firefox 2.0.0.9, the current version, so far, everything works together without problems. For my computing requirement, Win98SE performs well. I am not a computer techie, not of the computer generation, so my P3, 256 megs, radeon 7000, ultra lite cable internet accomplishes everything that I require. I also use Open Office, The Gimp, I feel that I am not lacking in any major way.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 02:34:53 PM »
but I am now getting start up error OCX cant register dll files. msaado.dll, sqlxmbx.dll and sqloledb.dll, when i startup "Parentalfilter" software.

You will have to register *.OCX file from ParentalFilter.
Can you discover its path and name?

Follow the instructions:
If you have Windows 95, 98 or ME:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\REGSVR32.EXE "<file path and name>.OCX"