Author Topic: Virus Protection in Virtual Machine?  (Read 2404 times)

Heinz Tomato

Virus Protection in Virtual Machine?
« on: November 10, 2007, 04:14:29 PM »
Hi there. This maybe aint Avast specific but a general Antivir-Question:

I'm quite fed up with Windows getting worse the longer I use it, so I decided to clean up my PC, create some VMs and use one VM per goal (one for coding, one for surfing, one for office stuff etc.)

Now my question is: Does each OS inside these VMs need Virus Protection or can the Virus Protection of the Hosting system also protect the VMs?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 04:18:53 PM by Heinz Tomato »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Virus Protection in Virtual Machine?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 07:23:53 PM »
Yes, each VM needs it's own virus protection. Files downloaded and executed need scanning.
Although, WebShield of the host system will scan the html traffic used by the Virtual Machine.
The best things in life are free.

Lusher

Re: Virus Protection in Virtual Machine?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 04:29:09 PM »
Hi there. This maybe aint Avast specific but a general Antivir-Question:

I'm quite fed up with Windows getting worse the longer I use it, so I decided to clean up my PC, create some VMs and use one VM per goal (one for coding, one for surfing, one for office stuff etc.)

Now my question is: Does each OS inside these VMs need Virus Protection or can the Virus Protection of the Hosting system also protect the VMs?

Ideally you should do "dangerous stuff" in the vm , and do sensitive stuff in the real machine since they can't get out to your real machine. As you intend to reset to the known safe state after a while it is less important to protect the vm environment.

You should investigate network control between vm and physical machine though,.