Author Topic: Comodo no longer #1 in leak tests  (Read 20795 times)

timcan

Comodo no longer #1 in leak tests
« on: November 03, 2007, 12:08:22 AM »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Comodo no longer #1 in leak tests
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 12:37:23 AM »
Well that is a surprisingly recent set of results, Outpost Firewall Pro 2008 has only just been released. I have a lifetime membership for Outpost Pro but I will be waiting for a little while and monitoring the outpostfirewall.com forums to see how people get on and if there are any bugs that need ironed out.

Outpost Firewall Pro 2008 is Vista compatible and by all accounts has been built from the ground up not an update to version 4.0, hence the jump to version 6.0, bering that in mind I will most certainly wait a while before upgrading.

Whilst Comodo may not be on top spot it still does well and any that come in a excellent or very good would do a commendable job. However these tests are only leak test scores and there are other things to consider.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 02:10:36 AM »
However these tests are only leak test scores and there are other things to consider.
Maybe David is referring to this...
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=29259.msg247460#msg247460
The best things in life are free.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 02:30:01 AM »
Why are they testing BlackICE? its been discontinued now
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 02:59:02 AM »
Well it is really a similar case with Outpost free it may still be available but it hasn't had any development in years. So naturally its results were pants, technical speak for rubbish.

Even though BlackICE is discontinued and didn't fair very well but still managed to bet some that are still in development even Norton ISS and McAfee ISS, ZA Free, etc.

Sygate is another that is no longer in development and probably some others that I don't know about
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 03:20:09 AM »
I don't care about this test... Online Armour screwed my PC so bad I was ready to hunt for developers  ;D Thank God for Norton Ghost, I restored my system image I've made prior to installing (read: testing) this POS firewall. Ugh...
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Rafel

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 03:23:49 AM »
I tested OA and , i came back to COMODO. A lot of explorer(not IE) errors.

justin1278

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 03:58:43 AM »
I bet when Comodo releases version 3 that Comodo will be back on top :)

galooma

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 06:43:03 AM »
I have just installed OA and it looks great . Setup was easy and uncomplicated and its features are well over and above that of CPF.
I guess its still in development mode but what i have installed seems  stable.
what i really like is the capacity to run programs that may have vulnerabilities in a reduced permissions mode
  SAFER MODE

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 02:27:14 PM »

Does it really matter to be top of the heap, being a competent firewall and ease of use etc. as far as I'm concerned are more important. For years I have been happy to use Outpost pro when it was getting slagged off at matousec, did I jump ship no because it is a competent firewall.

Now Outpost Pro 2008 is equal top of the heap, am I rushing out to download and update my version 4.x just so I have the top of the heap firewall. No, I will be waiting patiently for the other guinea pigs to discover any hiccups/glitches/bugs, etc. and have them resolved before I update even though I have a life-time license.

This version of the firewall was built from the ground up so I guess it is likely to have some issues, I would be surprised if it didn't even with sever thousand involved in the beta testing.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 02:50:41 PM »

Originally Posted by bob3160
When will you have a Free version available which is Vista compatible and, passes all the usual assortment of tests ?

Not really sure - I'd like to see how we go with OA before I commit to a date on the Vista release

Here's the latest answer I received on the Wilders forum.
The last time I tried this firewall on my XP, I got the same results a Sasha.
Good thing I had way to GoBack.  ;D
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

justin1278

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 03:17:28 AM »

Does it really matter to be top of the heap, being a competent firewall and ease of use etc. as far as I'm concerned are more important. For years I have been happy to use Outpost pro when it was getting slagged off at matousec, did I jump ship no because it is a competent firewall.

Now Outpost Pro 2008 is equal top of the heap, am I rushing out to download and update my version 4.x just so I have the top of the heap firewall. No, I will be waiting patiently for the other guinea pigs to discover any hiccups/glitches/bugs, etc. and have them resolved before I update even though I have a life-time license.

This version of the firewall was built from the ground up so I guess it is likely to have some issues, I would be surprised if it didn't even with sever thousand involved in the beta testing.

Hey David,

Yes I agree with you, ease of use and functionality matters most. However most people do not look at these charts like this, they see a Firewall in 1st place passing all leaktests and they think it is the best.

Outpost, or Comodo for that matter I am sure will both have their ups and downs, but if you like the software and it serves your purpose there is no need to change.

Justin

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 05:17:51 AM »
Justin,

I decided to used Comodo and it very light weight on system resource for XP, I am please to see the new version of Comodo Firewall 3 when it release......... ;D

Justin do you have an idea and how long in the time frame of Comodo Beta stage to be release the final stage, and their are some people in here are experiencing a lot of problem with the version 3 Beta the latest of Comobo Firewall running on Vista.....ask Tech in here.
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

justin1278

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007, 05:27:34 AM »
Justin,

I decided to used Comodo and it very light weight on system resource for XP, I am please to see the new version of Comodo Firewall 3 when it release......... ;D

Justin do you have an idea and how long in the time frame of Comodo Beta stage to be release the final stage, and their are some people in here are experiencing a lot of problem with the version 3 Beta the latest of Comobo Firewall running on Vista.....ask Tech in here.

Sorry they haven't told us a release date yet, hopefully sometime this year, if not then early next year.

I'm running the latest beta in Vista Ultimate 32 bit, I haven't had any issues with it, but others have, so the next release (which will be a release candidate) will be focusing mainly on bug fixes. So it is safe to assume that all features in the current beta are the features that will be in the final release.

If I find out a date then I will post it here if I can (sometimes they will tell us but will ask us to keep it quite)

Justin

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2007, 02:01:06 PM »
so the next release (which will be a release candidate) will be focusing mainly on bug fixes.
Good to know, because the latest three betas haven't walked one single step behind on the network driver install failure on my Vista 32bits. Still not a 'final' answer from the Comodo forum... just reporting, reporting, reporting, reporting...
The best things in life are free.