Author Topic: Comodo no longer #1 in leak tests  (Read 20794 times)

justin1278

Re: Comodo no longer #1 in leak tests
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2007, 03:06:44 AM »
Tech, I'm sorry you are having these issues, have you tried running the diagnostics tool?
It tells me it's 'not under the proper folder' (the tool run by the main window).
The tool invoked by the settings tab tries to install the network driver again. Shows me a Windows Vista incompatibility (driver not signed), I go ahead and install the driver. Does not work.

The forum is having software issues which is preventing some users from logging in at certain times, unfortunately I am one of those users having issues and I cannot login
I cannot believe that a Moderator cannot login...

if I could then I would most definitely do this :'(
It's on the messed '32bit bug report board'...
here and here.

Hey Tech,

Ok thanks, now which version of Vista are you using (e.g. 64 bit or 32 bit)?

Justin

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2007, 12:43:16 PM »
Vista Business 32bits on a HP Compaq nx6320 notebook.
The best things in life are free.

justin1278

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2007, 01:14:06 PM »
Vista Business 32bits on a HP Compaq nx6320 notebook.

Hey Tech,

Thanks for the information, I have gone ahead and forwarded this information to the Comodo development team, hopefully this will be fixed in the next pre-release.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2007, 01:31:55 PM »
You see Tech Justin is looking after you mate ;D and this should be over soon..............well maybe ???
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2007, 03:32:11 PM »
Thanks for the information, I have gone ahead and forwarded this information to the Comodo development team, hopefully this will be fixed in the next pre-release.
Justin, I have no words to thank you.
Comodo worths and I know that.
It will be good that we - all - could receive this kind of help (fast, kindly, complete...) in their forum. I don't want an advantage over other users, I want a better support. I understand that to make the forum 'clean' they merge the threads into a big 'bug thread', but it's difficult to follow and the contact with the developers is not as easy for all users. You have a higher status there so this is allowed to you, I'm a newbie there :'(
Thanks again for your help and time.

justin1278

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2007, 11:22:59 PM »
Justin, I have no words to thank you.
Comodo worths and I know that.
It will be good that we - all - could receive this kind of help (fast, kindly, complete...) in their forum. I don't want an advantage over other users, I want a better support. I understand that to make the forum 'clean' they merge the threads into a big 'bug thread', but it's difficult to follow and the contact with the developers is not as easy for all users. You have a higher status there so this is allowed to you, I'm a newbie there :'(
Thanks again for your help and time.

Tech, don't worry about it, it was my pleasure. Bug reporting for beta products is a busy time but the developers do get all of the bugs that are reported as developers get a copy of all the reported bugs in the bug reports topic. It can be difficult to fix the bug because they must first figure out what is causing it, reproduce it, then fix it, so some bug fixes can take some time. I am sure that even without my help the bug would have been fixed, but at least this way we know that the Comodo team can begin working on a fix ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2007, 01:36:09 AM »
Bug reporting for beta products is a busy time
I know this very well...

1. Vista Business 32bits on HP Compaq nx 6320 laptop and 3Gb of RAM.
2. I connect both wireless (at work) and wired (at home).
3. I've tried to install Comodo more than 10 times. 1st beta never installed the network driver. Then I've moved to PCTools firewall. Do not like as it is a branded firewall. I'd rather Comodo.
4. On the second beta (I can't remember the number versions themselves) the same. I was instructed in Comodo forums to install in Safe Mode. Nothing.
5. I've tried to uninstall all the security programs I have: AVGas, AVG antirootkit, TrendMicro antirootkit, a-squared, SpywareTerminator, SuperAntispyware, SpywareBlaster, all of them on-demand. Removed PeerGuardian and K9 filter also. I've uninstalled Spybot and TeaTimer (as residents). I've kept WinPatrol and avast running. They won't mess, for sure, the Comodo installation. But no luck.
6. Then I've installed everything again and wait for the third beta. Tried, no way, the network driver does not install. Uninstall all the security again (as step 5). No way.
7. Install everything again, lost hours... and give up.

The screenshots were posted in my posts in Comodo forums.
The files are installed, the driver is listed on the hidden devices on Device manager... should work, but don't.

It can be difficult to fix the bug because they must first figure out what is causing it, reproduce it, then fix it, so some bug fixes can take some time.
The strange is that there isn't a bug report that collects info, or even an installation log to get the info for this.

I am sure that even without my help the bug would have been fixed, but at least this way we know that the Comodo team can begin working on a fix ;)
I wish I have a friend there, an insider 8)

justin1278

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2007, 02:08:38 AM »
I wish I have a friend there, an insider 8)

Ya, that would make things much easier I'm sure ;D

Lusher

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2007, 01:11:33 PM »
Despite all the naysayers I have always said Matousec rocks.

And i never fancied Comodo anyway cos leak tests are really only one (small) component anyway.

Whether it is no 1 or not does not affect my evaluation of it , one way or the other.

justin1278

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2007, 11:31:37 PM »

And i never fancied Comodo anyway cos leak tests are really only one (small) component anyway.

Whether it is no 1 or not does not affect my evaluation of it , one way or the other.

Yes Lusher, some of us at the Comodo Forums know about this first hand... ;D

Lusher

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2007, 02:35:36 PM »

Yes Lusher, some of us at the Comodo Forums know about this first hand... ;D

Yes i recognise you too, comodo fanboy (the way you are so proud that you are an insider at comodo pretty much pins you down).  ;D

Honestly the problem with comodo is this blind faith that they are perfect or that everything they do is innovative or new.

Just try to contradict one of them and raise a word of caution and you get silenced. As a few posters have pointed out, I was perfectly correct on the facts, you comodo fanboys just couldn't stand hearing the truth. I got attacked for being a guy who clearly doesn't get it, or is against new hips methods, an absurd charge given that I'm the AUTHOR of the perhaps the most referenced pages on the web about such technologies. Heck even you comodo fanboys link to the pages i created about HIPS when talking about HIPS features... lol...

There is no security pancea, every approach has flaws.. even your whitelisting process (which isn't even close to being new)... Just saying that drives you fanboys mad, and I wonder why...

And of course pointing out that your CEO is being misleading when talking about the advantages of whitelisting speed over blacklisting was just the last straw. Of course you don't have to be an expert to know that there is nothing inherently faster about using whitelisting as opposed to blacklisting.... :)

« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 02:40:25 PM by Lusher »

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2007, 04:13:13 PM »
well let's hope Comodo gets theirs PF v3 sometime out of beta 'status' :)

i mean atm we got only Online Armor PF as free for personal use product ...

i'm very sad that "Sunbelt" seems to ignore problems of KPF/SPF and development is on 'stall'
especially after seeing how hard they work on CounterSpy

https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

justin1278

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2007, 09:45:37 PM »
Yes i recognise you too, comodo fanboy (the way you are so proud that you are an insider at comodo pretty much pins you down).  ;D

Honestly the problem with comodo is this blind faith that they are perfect or that everything they do is innovative or new.

Just try to contradict one of them and raise a word of caution and you get silenced. As a few posters have pointed out, I was perfectly correct on the facts, you comodo fanboys just couldn't stand hearing the truth. I got attacked for being a guy who clearly doesn't get it, or is against new hips methods, an absurd charge given that I'm the AUTHOR of the perhaps the most referenced pages on the web about such technologies. Heck even you comodo fanboys link to the pages i created about HIPS when talking about HIPS features... lol...

There is no security pancea, every approach has flaws.. even your whitelisting process (which isn't even close to being new)... Just saying that drives you fanboys mad, and I wonder why...

And of course pointing out that your CEO is being misleading when talking about the advantages of whitelisting speed over blacklisting was just the last straw. Of course you don't have to be an expert to know that there is nothing inherently faster about using whitelisting as opposed to blacklisting.... :)

And hello to you too! ;D

Let's have a quick lesson:

Fanboy is a term used to describe an individual (usually male; the feminine version fangirl may be used for females) who is utterly devoted to a single fannish subject, or to a single point of view within that subject, often to the point where it is considered an obsession. Fanboys remain loyal to their particular obsession, disregarding any factors (often including logic) that differ from their point of view.

Well that pretty much narrows it down.. If I was a fanboy, then that means I would not look at other products, which is incorrect, I am constantly testing and trying new things, and I constantly look at other firewalls.

Comodo makes a good software product and because of that I use it, does that make me a fanboy?

Comodo has flaws in its software, but at the moment it is one of the best firewalls on the market, free or paid, and that is reason enough to use it.

Now regarding HIPS, Comodo Firewall 3's HIPS works very well, and I like it, their HIPS in Comodo Firewall 3 is excellent and better then any other HIPS system I have used. Sure, white listing may not be new, but I get far fewer HIPS popups with Comodo Firewall 3 then I do with any other HIPS system I have used, and at the end of the day, being protected and low user interaction is all that matters.

So, just because I use a good security product, that is easy to use, does not make me a fan boy.

I use avast! Antivirus, does that make me an avast! fanboy? NO! it doesn't, I use avast! because I like it and it works, that's reason enough.

Oh, and about me being an insider on the forums, as that may be true everyone has an equal chance to become a moderator on the Comodo forums, how helpful and your attitude are major factors that are considered before you become an "insider".

[/rant]
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 09:48:04 PM by justin1278 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2007, 09:51:01 PM »
Mamma says: silence is gold...

justin1278

« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2007, 11:32:05 PM »
Mamma says: silence is gold...

lol Yes I agree Tech, that is most likely the last I will speak to Lusher in public, if he for any reason wants to continue this "conversation" it will have to be through PM.