Author Topic: eudora, spampal, avast, tiny firewall  (Read 4997 times)

TonyK

eudora, spampal, avast, tiny firewall
« on: March 07, 2004, 05:33:32 AM »
Please help.  I've read the info in spampal and avast, and still cannot figure out how to configure this properly.  What I tried is to setup my ports so that eudora talks to spampal which talks to avast which talks to my modem.  I set eudora for ports 27, 111, and 144, tried to set spampal to listen on those ports and output on ports 112, and 145, and for avast to listen on ports 112, 27, and 145 and default to 25, 110, and 143.  But I cannot get it to work.  Eudora reports it cannot find the servers for port 27 and 111.  

I also know eudora is a bit tempermental (is that how you spell it?), so I'm not sure I have the server and user names configured properly.  I figured the end app, avast, should be the one that says my email server name (in my case, mail.sprintmail.com), and the others should reference 127.0.0.1 with their appropriate port numbers, but still no go.  I'm also not sure Tiny Firewall is happy.  I get no response either way that it is allowing this config.

Can you help me with the settings for each prog to make this chain work?

Thanks,
Tony

Datagg

Re:eudora, spampal, avast, tiny firewall
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2004, 06:36:07 AM »
Spampal in its whitepages has full instructions on how to set up avast with it....Search and you will find it thru the help pages within spampal......
« Last Edit: March 07, 2004, 06:37:17 AM by Datagg »

TonyK

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2004, 07:49:57 AM »
I've gotten eudora and spampal to work together.  But I cannot get it all to work with avast.

TonyK

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2004, 04:52:45 PM »
I figured it out.  Avast needs to sit between spampal and eudora.  I would have thought you want avast to look for viruses before anything else sees it, and maybe it's possible to set it up to do that, but the spampal docs tell you to do it this other way.  

Anyway, now it works.  

Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2004, 12:19:43 AM »
If you need any help with SpamPal, send an IM to Culpeper. He is an avast! user that knows everything of both programs  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Datagg

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2004, 12:20:37 AM »
so true, cul is da man. He also showed me the setup for spampal.... ;D