Author Topic: Unknown virus disables my avast...  (Read 37280 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Unknown virus disables my avast...
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2007, 03:49:47 PM »
I'm assuming I'm done with this virus.
Better will be on-line full scanning of the computer.

I use free Avast now but is it better to upgrade it for paid license?
There are more features (scheduling, automation, etc.). But the protection is almost the same, except the Script scanning.
The best things in life are free.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2007, 03:55:35 PM »
I have no idea what you are talking about but I did AVG scan and it didn't find anything.
I'm assuming I'm done with this virus.

After all it was fun two days with essexboy and others.
I am very greatful for your help, without you I would be doing reinstalling right now.

One more question. I use free Avast now but is it better to upgrade it for paid license?
Basically up until now using that programme (DSS) any rootkit could be identified by the way it was presented.. However, they appear to got wise to that.. So I will now have to analyse all drivers not just suspicious ones..As I say a lesson learnt for me. 

And yes you are clean to ensure it does not reappear you will need to reset your restore points

Now to get you off to a good start we will re-set your restore points so that all the bad stuff is gone for good. Then if you need to restore at some stage you will be clean. There are several ways to reset your your restore point but this is my method:

1. Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > System tools > System Restore.
2. On the dialogue box that appears select Create a Restore Point
3. Click NEXT
4. Enter a name e.g. Clean
5. Click CREATE

You now have a clean restore point, to get rid of the bad ones:

1. Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > System tools > Disk Cleanup.
2. In the Drop down box that appears select your main drive e.g. C
3. Click OK
4. The System will do some calculation and the display a dialogue box with TABS
5. Select the More Options Tab.
6. At the bottom will be a system restore box with a CLEANUP button click this
7. Accept the Warning and select OK again, the program will close and you are done

gitku

« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2009, 10:57:47 PM »
hey there everybody! :)
i've got this same virus too :( and i'd like to add some of my concludings:
  • the virus disables avast (portable too), ccleaner, ad-aware, firefox and probably some more others. but it doesn't disable media player for example.
  • the virus closing services.msc the second i click "ok" to change avast status from "disable" (that the virus set) to 'automatic".
  • since the virus i can't run windows safe mode (however, i havn't check this opition for months so i can't blame it for sure)/
  • when trying to open manually avast\firefox\ect. the virus ban them immediately, even before i notice them/

it feels much better not being alone on this drawing ship, let's hope we'll win together.
Thanks a lot!
gitku