Author Topic: Set the time automatic updates occur  (Read 2168 times)

w_cox

Set the time automatic updates occur
« on: November 03, 2007, 01:01:23 PM »
How do you specify the time avast automatically updates?
Thanks

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Set the time automatic updates occur
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 01:27:26 PM »
Normally, avast! checks for updates periodically, with the preriod starting at the start of Windows, I guess.

In Professional version (not in avast! Home), you have two more options:
- using Scheduler, you can invoke the update (check) at any time you like
- using PUSH updates, you can get the updates as soon as they are released (provided your e-mail client checks frequently enough for new messages)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Set the time automatic updates occur
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 03:53:12 PM »
avast checks if there is an available connection each 40 seconds.
If there isn't, wait more 40 seconds to check. Checking does not take more than one second and, of course, does not use the Internet band.
If there is a connection, check for an update. If there is not any new file to download, wait 4 hours to start checking again. If there is an available update, start it and install it. Again, wait 4 hours to check the next time.
Some of this settings could be configurated different, I posted the default values of the avast4.ini file.

The program updates are released but to avoid excessive load on the servers the auto update check happens randomically every 7 days and it's not checking every time you connect to the Internet as with the iAVS checks. Every avast installation has a unique, randomly generated GUID ("general unique identifier") associated with it (it is generated during installation). This ID is random, but fixed. They use this value to determine when the updater pops up on YOUR machine, i.e., the program already knows that the update is there, but it won't tell you until it's your turn.
The best things in life are free.