Author Topic: Outpost Firewall 2008 requests user to Disable Avast TDI Shield.  (Read 5322 times)

wile_e

Outpost Firewall 2008 requests user to Disable Avast TDI Shield.
« on: November 04, 2007, 01:16:23 AM »
I was going to install the new version of Outpost Firewall. But upon install, it is requesting to disable Avast TDI Shield. This is the WebShield? I find this odd, since previous versions never said to disable it. Plus I have to manually go into registry to change the value.

What is everyones suggestion?

I have been using Comodo Firewall, because Outpost previous versions were causing Blue Screens on my Dual-Core box. But I wanted to try this new version of Outpost. But I don't want to disable part of Avast!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Outpost Firewall 2008 requests user to Disable Avast TDI Shield.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 01:24:23 AM »
As an outpost pro version 4.0 I have never done that and really see no reason to do it when I eventually decide to upgrade (life-time license), but for the time being I will let the others be the guinea pigs with this brand new version.

One of these glaring errors in this brand new build is it has wrongly identified avast as having a firewall, which it doesn't so even more reason not to do as it suggests
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 02:12:16 PM »
This is a missdetection of avast NetShield as being a firewall. If there is any other way to make an exception into Outpost, maybe you could safely disable NetShield. It won't be necessary if you have your Windows updated and your firewall (3rd party) running.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 02:56:56 PM »
If a third party firewall is doing its job then the network shield will have little to do as all attacks on the ports that it monitors should be caught by the firewall.

This cropped up in another topic, where I think it was PCTools also detected avast as having a firewall. I suggested it might be detecting network shield but, I think it was Vlk said that shouldn't be the case, that may well have been wrong based on the info below.

I'm confused by their calling it avast TDI Shield but the image that was posted quotes the aswtdi service (not running on my services.msc list) which I would assume is the aswtdi.sys file.

Checking the regisrty there is a services entry for aswTdi and the DisplayName of avast! Network Shield Support (not avast! TDI Shield), and the Start key has a value of 1 (start I assume).

So it does look like they are thinking the Network Shield is a full firewall which it isn't but worse still giving it a name that isn't in the Registry.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 03:39:29 PM »
This cropped up in another topic, where I think it was PCTools also detected avast as having a firewall. I suggested it might be detecting network shield but, I think it was Vlk said that shouldn't be the case, that may well have been wrong based on the info below.
Indeed, the driver aswTdi seems not *only* related to NetShield but as an *all* avast network driver.

It is listed on *hidden devices* into Devices management window.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 04:47:21 PM »
Yes, amazing that Agnitum would call it a Shield, so it looks like someone has made an incorrect interpretation of what it does and called it a shield, in line with avast calling other providers shields.

wile_e

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 06:36:33 PM »
Strange...I just got some sort of crash. My internal HDD's shut off and the system rebooted. Then it hung at the POST screen, because it couldn't find the boot drives! I had to do a cold boot to get the drives to turn on again. This has happened one time in the past, but I thought it was Outpost related. Windows did not blue screen, nor did it write out a memory dump. (I have Automatic Restart turned OFF.) It just rebooted and all my internal HDD's turned off. Has anyone ran into this issue?

My system was running good and I thought the crashes was all Outpost related. Now I'm not sure! :( There must be some Nvidia driver problem? I have my IDE HDD's in RAID 1, and using the onboard Nvidia RAID.

Here is my current config:
Avast 4.x Pro
Comodo Firewall
Asus A8N-SLI Premium (Nforce 4 SLI x16)
AMD X2 4200+ (939 socket)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 09:19:13 PM »
Most strange and not something I would associate with the installation of Outpost if you had done it by that time.

I too am surprised that there was no BSOD, which is the point of the "Automatic Restart turned OFF" the memory dump doesn't get written until the BSOD I think.

I don't think that it is nvidia driver related either because if the drive isn't found then it wouldn't be able to load any drivers, but I'm totally at a loss as to what it might be.

Personally I'm not sure of the benefit of RAID in an average consumer user environment. Though RAID 1 is less of an issue as a failed drive should be able to just switch to the other drive until the failed drive is replaced. Based on that assumption I would have thought if there was a hiccup like drive not found it would bot of the other raid drive. So it would appear that this hasn't worked as expected, so perhaps there is an issue with the RAID setup.