Author Topic: Avast alerts always  (Read 2816 times)

g-b

Avast alerts always
« on: January 22, 2005, 04:50:13 PM »
I have switched most all my home user customers (over 100 so far) to Avast (several have gone on to purchase Pro). Avast works flawlessly except:

:-\I currently have one customer with a problem driving me crazy! She has Avast Home on an XP Home system (SP2), using Outlook Express as mail client and on a broadband (cable) connection. Whenever she receives e-mail from a certain person she gets the Avast Alert re Infected mail. The system then seems to freeze until reboot. Upon reboot and restart of OE, the mail is received normally - until the next time she gets mail from the same person (the mail is *not* infected, has no attachments and is plain text).

???Anyone have a fix or idea as to cause?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast alerts always
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 05:25:23 PM »
Is it a virus alert or a suspicious email warning?

If suspicious email warning, have her lower the heuristics sensitivity, there is likely to be white space in subject, iframe tag in HTML format email or something that the heuristics is picking up if the email is infact not infected.

You could ask the person to send you an email, to see if you can identify the cause.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

g-b

Re: Avast alerts always
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 07:19:16 PM »
Alert is "Suspicious" warning.

This Alert popped up on every email received from a single sender but only that sender.

I'm not sure yet if the changes I made to heuristics were what solved the problem. The settings were changed to "low." At the same time I did a scan of the registry and found about 10 entries left behind when another AV was uninstalled. It's possible one of these caused the trouble.