Author Topic: HELP - dialup error after last AVAST update.  (Read 5190 times)

ZbyszekW

HELP - dialup error after last AVAST update.
« on: March 07, 2004, 11:52:56 AM »
Please help. After the new AVAST Home 4 version installation (27 Feb 2004m automatic uppdate) I am not able to dialup at all - error 651. i am using Windows XP Pro SP1, external USB modem. No problems for more than one year.

2 days later my friend downlaoded and installed - for the first time - the latest AVAST Home 4. And from that noment he is as unhappy a me. The same error. He also uses XP Pro SP1, but standard modem.

I have sent e-mail to AVAST support on 3 March, but I have not received any response.

;D One good thing - I am now secure, no viruses from Internet  ;D

PLEASE HELP !!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:HELP - dialup error after last AVAST update.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2004, 01:47:39 AM »
Please help. After the new AVAST Home 4 version installation (27 Feb 2004m automatic uppdate) I am not able to dialup at all - error 651. i am using Windows XP Pro SP1, external USB modem. No problems for more than one year.

2 days later my friend downlaoded and installed - for the first time - the latest AVAST Home 4. And from that noment he is as unhappy a me. The same error. He also uses XP Pro SP1, but standard modem.

I have sent e-mail to AVAST support on 3 March, but I have not received any response.

;D One good thing - I am now secure, no viruses from Internet  ;D

PLEASE HELP !!

Are your settings correct at 'Update (Advanced)' page? I mean, did you check that you use a dial-up?
Can you go to Windows Control Panel, System and see in the Hardware tab if any conflict or drive were missing?
I cannot imagine that avast! is due to this... But as you have a problem, I'm trying to help  ::)
The best things in life are free.

ZbyszekW

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2004, 05:32:25 AM »
I have not changed any software or hardware configuration for months. Everything was fine until the minute of the latest AVAST version installation. The same disaster, the same circumstances on 2 PCs.

No doubt the reason is AVAST. My friend downloaded AVAST, then immediately installed it, rebooted system and was able only to dream about registration because of dialup errors. I installed AVAST, rebooted and the same. No magic, AVAST installation has to be the reason.

I checked everything possible in Windows and nothing was abnormal, no interrupts conflicts etc. I ran SFC utility, it reported everything is OK. Modem test reported success etc.
I checked AVAST settings, nothing was changed.

Maybe something has been done to the registry??

Although I am a programmer with 25 years expierence I feel lost. Waiting for help.  PLEASE HELP.

ZbyszekW

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 05:39:57 AM »
I can see that nobody has any clue what has happened and why. It is almost 2 weeks without WEB access. I am giving up. I am going to reinstall XP, but without AVAST. Sorry to say I will not advise my friends to use AVAST any more.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 12:37:44 PM »
I try to do my best  :'(
No clues  :-\
But really, I cannot imagine that. I recommended avast! to my friends and personally guide more than 20 installations... Not even one I lost the Internet access  ::)
I handle proxy, different firewalls, Windows 95/98/Me/XP (only 2000 I did not test)... I understand you but what more can I do?  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Datagg

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004, 12:40:43 PM »
So true tech...I also have instaled avast on many systems and not one dial up error. Its a shame that thru an experince so rare as this one that avast has to called the culprit here. If I had to take a shot in the dark, I would say there was some leftover AV on comp, or a firewall issue, or AOL is involved somehow, or perhaps all 3 or more.  

I want to state for the ones who may be new to avast and see this thread, that this is an extremly rare error, that I have never encountered thru many installs and suggestions to install to others. Only good words from them all. So dont let a rare circumstance, which I do NOT believe was directly caused by the program, and to not let it scare you away from the best AV I and others have ever used

Some things you may want to try:

Reinstal your network card drivers and or modem drivers.......If you have a firewall installed, disable it and see what happens. You say you are using xp, go to control panel, right click on network and tell it to repair.....

Thats all I have, good luck to you sir......
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 12:55:01 PM by Datagg »

g-b

Re: HELP - dialup error after last AVAST update.
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 07:14:07 PM »
:o
I've installed and/or recommended Avast for probably 100 home users without any problems. These are a mix of broadband (both cable & DSL) and dial-up modem users. In all of these I have had only TWO Avast related problems - one was a person who got "Suspicious" alert on every email from a relative. The other was a dial-up user who had trouble connecting.

The first was solved by lowering the "white space" check in heuristics. The 2nd was solved through this forum and an edit to the ini file.

Overall, Avast is an excellent choice as an AV. If there *is* a problem, as with any software, be patient and methodical in solving it - rather than jumping to conclusions. Look at the problem like CSI! Let the evidence speak and slowly, methodically solve the case (Although you don't have to hold each piece of evidence up 6 inches from your eye and stoically examine it like they do on CSI ;D)

As with all forums, the Avast forum seems to run the gamut - Some people asking for help fail to adequately state what, exactly, the problem is. And, some replies seem to not fully read the problem posted. And, there's rarely a "Problem Solved" post. I've always thought it would be helpful if the users of forums like this one would post back when the problem is solved - restating the problem and what worked to solve it.