Author Topic: New install corrupts Netscape and Windows Media Player  (Read 4847 times)

masterdebugger

New install corrupts Netscape and Windows Media Player
« on: March 06, 2004, 02:47:17 AM »
I recently discovered Avast! and have just decided to install it.

I found that after I installed Avast 4.1-335 that my Netscape 7.1 gave me a funny error on startup and it looks as if it might be script related. I turned off script blocking in Avast! and it started to work normally again.

I also saw that somehow, my Windows Media Player did not display the visualisation anymore and when I tried to go to FULL mode, the results were less than happy.  Instead of displaying the regular big window with all the track names, I just had shattered pieces of the skin?? I was still able to access the toolbar (it still apreared when I hover the mouse above the skin fragments) but I couldn't do anything that seemed to fix anything.

I also find that something is wrong with my Internet Explorer. I was unable to create an account on this site with it. Had to rely on goold old Netscape.

I am using Windows XP SP1 (recent re-install with recent security updates) and Windows Media Player 9.

As a computer professional I am a bit baffled by this odd behaviour.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:New install corrupts Netscape and Windows Media Player
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2004, 03:29:12 AM »
Can you make some tests?

1. For the Script Blocker, try to disable Netscape and/or Internet Explorer from the settings. Or disable the entire provider. Will it work?

2. About the other weird thing, why don't you try disabling all avast modules (residents) and/or trying to set your protection to normal (instead of high). It seems to be a Internet Explorer stuff or RAM (btw, how much memory do you have?).

Wellcome to forums.
The best things in life are free.

masterdebugger

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2004, 05:15:26 AM »
Of course when I disable the whole scripting provider it works normally. Even the mail filter works (configured manually of course)

the error message I get is a Windows dialog with a Red X

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Netscp.exe - Entry Point Not Found

(X)   The procedure entry point ?log@CLog@@QAAKHKGPADQAEKZZ could not be located in the dynamic link library aswCmnB.dll.

[    OK    ]  
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In order to be able to use Netscape, I have to turn of scripting AND Reboot the computer. If I do not reboot, Netscape will crash at every time I try to start it.

In the meanwhile, Windows Media Player looks like it is behaving normally (with Netscape crashed)

for IE stuff, my scanning is set to Normal, I didn't really tweak the settings yet.
My hardware is a Pentium III 1Ghz with 1GB of RAM, XP Pro sp1

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2004, 09:44:46 AM »
Version 4.1.335 is quiet old now. Update to 4.1.357.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

kubecj

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2004, 08:48:54 PM »
masterdebugger,

I think this may be the old bug with duplication of few dlls in system directory.

Upgrading to the newest version should help you, as the installer takes care for the duplicities now.

masterdebugger

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2004, 02:52:08 AM »
Re-installed more recent version (without the script) and everything seems to work fine.

Thanks to all