Author Topic: password protected  (Read 3528 times)

donlee47

password protected
« on: March 07, 2004, 02:17:23 PM »
I have read everything in the forum, or most of it, regarding this subject, but I still don't understand one thing. EVERYTHING that avast scans says password protected, even the new things I have downloaded since I had to reformat my computer. The scan I did yesterday showed no viruses, but I went online and scanned with RAV and it showed a virus in the temp files. I did a dic cleanup and got rid of it, but why is avast not catching this and why is everything password protected?
Thank you for your assistance.
Domlee47

whocares

Re:password protected
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2004, 02:31:48 PM »
Hi,

please give us more info/details on the virus and location it was found

Which win version do you use; which service packs and updates ?
Do you use something like EFS (encryption file system) or other encrypting/protecting services ?

test your avast scanner and resident shield with the harmless testfile eicar.com from www.eicar.com

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2004, 12:12:27 AM »
I have read everything in the forum, or most of it, regarding this subject, but I still don't understand one thing. EVERYTHING that avast scans says password protected, even the new things I have downloaded since I had to reformat my computer. The scan I did yesterday showed no viruses, but I went online and scanned with RAV and it showed a virus in the temp files. I did a dic cleanup and got rid of it, but why is avast not catching this and why is everything password protected?
Thank you for your assistance.
Domlee47

Probably you check 'soft errors' on the Report options page... But if you try either 'ok files' will every zip file shown as password protected... I'm sure not, you're seing just the really password protected files (maybe Spybot ones)  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2004, 09:50:18 AM »
As Technical said - the "OK files" are not reported by default (because the list can be very long). So, the files you see in the report are either infected, or couldn't be scanned for some reason. That's why you see so many "password-protected" files there - they are the ones that couldn't be scanned. However, there are thousands of files that were scanned - just weren't reported because they are "OK".