Author Topic: Avast and NordVPN  (Read 4475 times)

Offline Roger1959

Avast and NordVPN
« on: December 26, 2021, 10:35:11 PM »
I sent the following email to NordVPN Support:
"Is there a way to make NordVPN when it connects to the Internet use the same network name every time? Now, every time I connect it gives me a different name (e,g NordLynx 84, next time it will be NordLynx 85). This triggers my Avast Firewall to ask if I can trust this network or not and whether to scan it or not. This is super annoying! Can NordVPN be set up to always be just NordLynx with no indexing number suffix? Please advise, thanks."

They replied:
"It would be great if you could try adding our application to your anti-virus exceptions list.
Please note that the following executables must be added to exceptions:

Nordvpn.exe
    nordvpn-service.exe
    openvpn-nordvpn.exe (located at \NordVPN\Resources\Binaries\32bit and \NordVPN\Resources\Binaries\64bit folders)

Also, you would have to create inbound and outbound rules for nordvpn.exe, nordvpn-service.exe and openvpn-nordvpn.exe on both private and public networks in your Firewall.
Moreover, on certain anti-virus solutions, you may have to whitelist the whole NordVPN application folder at \Program Files\NordVPN."

I added the three programs to the exceptions list in Avast. However, when I go into Avast>Protection>Firewall>Settings>View Firewall Rules and got to the Application Rules tab there are entries for only Nordvpn.exe and nordvpn-service.exe. The program openvpn-nordvpn.exe is not listed. That's the problem I think. How do I add it into the Application Rules. Thanks in advance for any and all help provided.

Offline Roger1959

Re: Avast and NordVPN
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 09:47:44 PM »
Nobody here uses NordVPN and Avast Antivirus together?  :o

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2021, 10:28:22 PM »
I have avast premium and nord vpn.This is how avast sees the network when you turn on nord vpn and really has nothing to do with nord vpn.On my laptop avast will popup seeing  network 10-11-12,etc when i activate nord vpn.Maybe for a future request option avast could treat any network besides your home network as untrusted without a popup,I think windows does this(i think)

Offline Roger1959

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2021, 11:03:40 PM »
Hi Bri. Thanks so much for the reply. I'm still going back and forth with NordVPN tech support on this issue. I submitted a Support Ticket to Avast last week. Surprise! They haven't even bothered to reply. I'm debating on just dropping using Avast AV altogether. I have several gaming friends who have no AV other than Windows Defender and they've never had a problem with security whatsoever.

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2021, 11:38:05 PM »
If the popup bothers you do avast custom install and dont install the firewall,just use avast antivirus and windows firewall and you wont get those popups.As far as i know windows firewall is good.I dont use nord vpn alot as i bought it to use on my router as my son plays xbox online but nord vpn slows down his games so bad i took it off and sometimes i use it on my laptop.

Offline Roger1959

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2021, 11:41:25 PM »
Hi Bri. Thanks so much for another reply and suggestion. I've found NordVPN to be almost as fast (within 50 mbps) as my ISP. Maybe I'll just switch to the Windows Firewall instead of Avast's.