Author Topic: zone alarm firewall or avast! on access?  (Read 3466 times)

mtm2008

zone alarm firewall or avast! on access?
« on: November 08, 2007, 07:14:54 AM »
hey
i'm using these two programs together.avast! as anti virus and zone alarm security suit as firewall and anti spyware.i heard much about problems between this two.but actually there is no problem even in startup.i let the on access and ZA  both control the internet.should i change any setting?or do sth to make them work safer and greater?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: zone alarm firewall or avast! on access?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 12:38:37 PM »
Since 4.7.892 version of September 25, 2006, avast gets improved detection of ZoneAlarm Pro (to prevent unnecessary WebShield incompatibility warnings). So, if you're using ZA free, you won't see the avast! Web Shield compatibility dialogue while installing/updating avast.

Anyway, if the question appears and you are using ZoneAlarm Free you should click NO, because privacy features are not present in ZoneAlarm Free this will not turn off webshield transparent mode proxy.
Use a text editor and edit the avast4.ini file, the default installation location is C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\avast4.ini (I would advise you copy avast4.ini before editing it, just in case).
Locate the line containing ZoneAlarmCompatibility= and delete that line or, if you want to keep this line, set it to 0. Save the edited avast4.ini file.

If you are using ZoneAlarm Pro and Privacy Control in ZoneAlarm is set to High and if you click YES in avast comptability dialog box the transparent mode proxy in webshield will be turned off you have to manually configure browser to access internet. To manually configure your browser watch instructional video. In this case, the value ZoneAlarmCompatibility=1 should be at avast4.ini file.

More info:  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=1647.msg15960#msg15960
The best things in life are free.