Author Topic: Any real need to place firewall in exclusion list ?  (Read 2597 times)

E

Any real need to place firewall in exclusion list ?
« on: November 08, 2007, 10:06:46 PM »
Was reading some FAQs for a while, trying to see if anythings mentioned but couldnt seem to find anything on the subject althouth probly asked a few times before. Anyways, I was reading some firewall set-up guides on the Comodo site, they said it was best to keep AV`s switched off to avoid conflictions, which got me wondering. Is the WebShield known to cause differences however minor unless an exclusion rule is set up ? I saw the topic about using ZoneAlarm but anything about Comodo ?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 10:10:05 PM by E »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Any real need to place firewall in exclusion list ?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 10:19:13 PM »
The short answer is no, Comodo firewall works well with avast and there is no need for any exclusion. Zone Alarm was/is a totally different ball game as avast is trying to avoid an issue with the Privacy function in ZA Pro.

I see no good reason to disable my AV to install a program. Think about it what is the time you might well be vulnerable, installing applications. If the installation doesn't have anything to hide or conforms to general standards whilst installing there shouldn't be any conflict and AV scans for infection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

E

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 11:04:59 PM »
Oh I see, heh I never really noticed any problems when I first installed that firewall anyways, it was just after when I saw a FAQ about what to do when first using it and thats when I thought about the Web Shield that Avast uses..

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 11:11:31 PM »
Crazy suggestions...
Antivirus always on, even before installing the firewall.
Antivirus is more important than a firewall.

Into the firewall settings, the following programs should be allowed to connect:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup (avast! Update executable). This is a temporary file that just appears when an update (check) is about to launch, and disappears again afterwards.

Don't need rights to connect:
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe (avast! antivirus service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe (avast! Update Service)
The best things in life are free.

E

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 03:59:19 AM »
Thats how I had it to begin with, lol. I  installed the firewall after the AV set-up but then thats when I saw some info about setting it up the other way round. Well anyways I`ll get it right this time..

Those Avast components you mention, I saw a message appear about wether to let the connection though or not so I just ticked that check box so it doesnt keep having to remind
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 04:18:17 AM by E »