Author Topic: [Security Issue] Avast "Times Out" sometimes when doing a scan  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Skuarsky

[Security Issue] Avast "Times Out" sometimes when doing a scan
« on: January 07, 2022, 01:34:32 AM »
So I was going through Virus Total logs and saw that at times Avast scans "Time Out" and are rendered useless, unable to defend the PC from my knowledge against a dangerous file. I see this as a major security issue if that leaves the victim's PC vulnerable to attack from the malware, and competitor anti-virus software detects the malware and contains it.
I am not sure if this is a mistake on Virus Total's part, but I think that if this is an issue Avast should solve it because the file I looked at was a dangerous Trojan Horse.
Is there anyone who knows what it means if a scan "Times Out", and how to fix the issue?

Virus Total File:
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/5921f9278ea71ab9953ce59c38153b4a71e714e01a2a6f42a47176925de5084f

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: [Security Issue] Avast "Times Out" sometimes when doing a scan
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 07:24:37 AM »
So I was going through Virus Total logs and saw that at times Avast scans "Time Out" and are rendered useless, unable to defend the PC from my knowledge against a dangerous file.
What happens at VT has nothing to do with what happens in your computer.
VT is just a place that display what engine detect what and share samples with all members

https://support.virustotal.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002126889-How-it-works

Is there anyone who knows what it means if a scan "Times Out", and how to fix the issue?
You have to ask VT.
Engine can be under update, and usually they show scan completed if you wait 15min and rescan

« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 07:31:22 AM by Pondus »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 12:18:49 PM »
@ Skuarsky
Looking at your VT link doesn't show Avast for Windows having timed out.  The only thing avast related was Avast-Mobile and that didn't time out "Unable to process file type" which is also different.

But as said, these are not the same as the actions on your system they are an on-demand scan engine located at VT.

By the time I checked your VT link the results were over 4 hours old, so I refreshed the scan and the Avast (for windows) scan was completed relatively quickly whilst other scans were spinning their wheels.  But as Pondus said this is something you would have to take up with VT.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 01:23:25 PM »
Looking at your VT link doesn't show Avast for Windows having timed out.
It was before i did a rescan

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 02:32:10 PM »
Looking at your VT link doesn't show Avast for Windows having timed out.
It was before i did a rescan

Ha, how to know who last ran the scan !

But it doesn't change your point or mine it is something that only VT can address as they are specially crafted on-demand scanners on their servers/infrastructures.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security