Author Topic: Alternate sound Package problem!  (Read 9016 times)

faffy

Alternate sound Package problem!
« on: March 08, 2004, 01:53:30 AM »
I downloaded Sasha's sounds and unzipped it into the
Code: [Select]
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ENGLISH folder overwriting the old sound files. However, when I restart my computer the old sounds come back and Sasha's sounds disappear. I don't understand it. Does avast! overwrite these sound files from a "sound package" file?

Faffy

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Alternate sound Package problem!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2004, 02:06:49 AM »
I downloaded Sasha's sounds and unzipped it into the
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ENGLISH folder overwriting the old sound files. However, when I restart my computer the old sounds come back and Sasha's sounds disappear. I don't understand it. Does avast! overwrite these sound files from a "sound package" file?

Faffy

Every boot and just when you update avast!?
Does your avast! update automaticaly?  8)
The best things in life are free.

faffy

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2004, 02:09:02 AM »
After reboot.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2004, 02:12:58 AM »
Faffy, can you open Windows Control Panel > Sounds applet and then save your settings correctly... Boot and see what happens?

It's strange, I use avast! with two languages and no problems at all with the sounds schems. Each language search and play the correct sounds. There is a bug anyway, when you uninstall a language, the entries for that language are left behind  :-\ I know, your problem does not concern to languages...

kubecj

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2004, 02:02:15 PM »
It may be the strict all-or-nothing behaviour of the installer.

Check the setup.log file if there are any recent records about *.wav files.

If there are...  8)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2004, 02:08:18 PM by kubecj »

faffy

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2004, 02:08:24 PM »
I checked the setup.log and actually found this :
01:02:18 vrb/pkg  Extracting from av_pro_dll409-b9.vpu (1)
01:02:18 nrm/fil  Direct move of file: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ENGLISH\hover.wav
01:02:18 vrb/fil  Installed file:C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ENGLISH\hover.wav
01:02:18 nrm/fil  Direct move of file: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ENGLISH\possible.wav
01:02:18 vrb/fil  Installed file:C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ENGLISH\possible.wav
01:02:18 nrm/fil  Direct move of file: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ENGLISH\press.wav
01:02:18 vrb/fil  Installed file:C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ENGLISH\press.wav
01:02:18 nrm/fil  Direct move of file: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ENGLISH\ready.wav
01:02:18 vrb/fil  Installed file:C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ENGLISH\ready.wav
01:02:18 nrm/fil  Direct move of file: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ENGLISH\suspic.wav
01:02:18 vrb/fil  Installed file:C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ENGLISH\suspic.wav
01:02:18 nrm/fil  Direct move of file: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ENGLISH\virfound.wav
01:02:18 vrb/fil  Installed file:C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ENGLISH\virfound.wav
01:02:18 nrm/fil  Direct move of file: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ENGLISH\vpsupd.wav
01:02:18 vrb/fil  Installed file:C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ENGLISH\vpsupd.wav
01:02:18 min/pkg  program: installed 7 files (603908 bytes), removed 0 files

Very strange. Any advice?

kubecj

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2004, 02:48:26 PM »
Sorry, no advice. This is the way in which installer/updater works.

Althought you may put the wavs in different directory (installer won't overwrite them there), and you may point avast sound events to them, I think that the program update will change the events back to avast directory anyway.

Avast has no support now for different sound schemes.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2004, 02:50:54 PM »
Kubecj wrote:
Althought you may put the wavs in different directory (installer won't overwrite them there), and you may point avast sound events to them, I think that the program update will change the events back to avast directory anyway.

No it won't change those sound events... There were two program updates since I did that and everything is just as I set it to be...

I solved that problem my little-tiny way. Maybe it's not state of the art, but at least it works great...

Do not overwrite old avast! sounds. They won't be on your way, anyway...

Go into your avast! anivirus directory. Make a new sub-directory for your new sounds. Save all those additional sounds from my package into that directory.

Go into Control Panel/sound properties and under avast! antivirus sound events, point the path for each and every sound to new sub-directory with new sounds you just created... remember ?

avast! will never change those settings again...

Hope this helps !

Sasha
« Last Edit: March 08, 2004, 02:55:46 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

faffy

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2004, 03:06:34 PM »
Thank you Sasha!
You need not be that modest. Your solution is perfect.

Faffy

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2004, 03:27:22 PM »
You're welcome my friend !

Offline radicalb21

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • Be Safe. Be Smart. Use Common Sense.
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2004, 07:17:10 PM »
Hey Sasha,
          It's radicalb21. I was wondering where I could get this additional sound package. If you needed my email address its in my profile. Thanks again for the help.
iMac 21.5 " Mid 2011 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2004, 08:49:55 PM »
Hello Radicalb21...

Just go here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=2986

Find first Vlk's reply to my original post and you'll find link for downloading that additional sound package. I sent it to Vlk, and he uploaded it somewhere on the server...

Hope you'll like those sounds !

Cheers !

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2004, 09:40:21 PM »
Avast has no support now for different sound schemes.

Except when you use more than one language... when you will have one scheme to each language installed.