Author Topic: Gaming Server Issue  (Read 3779 times)

smokethapimp

Gaming Server Issue
« on: November 06, 2007, 09:38:29 PM »
Hello again all. I play the original version of Unreal Tournament online, primarily the MonsterHunt Mod. Since installing Avast when I pull up my Unreal Tournament Master Server, and ask it to search for active game servers, it will begin to populate the server list, but it ALWAYS hangs up/stops somewhere around 55-65% of all servers and refuses to load the rest.

I know there are more active servers available because I have UT installed on another computer that I don't use Avast on. When I ask UT to populate the server list on that system it gives me 100%, usually about 8-12 extra servers. Any idea what is causing this? Thanks again.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Gaming Server Issue
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 10:29:23 PM »
We will need more information to be able to help you:
- Which OS are you using? Is it up to date?
- What avast! version number?
- Which actions have you taken to try solving the problem?
- Do you use a firewall? Which one?
- Do you have any other antivirus installed in your system?
- Any other security programs that could interfere?
- Any useful information into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Events, specially 'Errors'.
The best things in life are free.

smokethapimp

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 10:49:30 PM »
Hello Tech. My info is in my Sig line. I update my Vista Basic Home, Avast, and CA Firewall every 2-3 days at the longest. All were updated last night around 4am. EST USA.

I have given Avast ashWebsv full rights (In-Out-Server) in my CA Internet Security 2007 Firewall. I have also given Unrealexe. full server rights. This problem has persisted for months so it isn't a matter of an Update causing the problem. I am not at home, but I have given several other Avast files full Firewall clearance as well. I will post the name of those files when I get home in a 6 hours.

mouniernetwork

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 11:27:15 PM »
Did you try playing without the CA frewall ?

Thanks

Al968

smokethapimp

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 12:08:05 AM »
Did you try playing without the CA frewall ?

Thanks

Al968

I did shut down the CA Security Suite which controls the Firewall. No difference while Avast is installed. I also tried shutting down Avast completely. Still no better.

When I uninstalled Avast all gaming servers would load to 100%. When I reinstalled Avast my problem came back. I am hoping there is just some permission somewhere I am missing that will resolve this minor problem.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 01:24:33 AM »
Hello Tech. My info is in my Sig line. I update my Vista Basic Home, Avast, and CA Firewall every 2-3 days at the longest. All were updated last night around 4am. EST USA.
Sorry, I have, generally, hidden signatures on forums  :-[

Maybe some bad interaction between avast and your firewall.
Maybe you can activate logging in WebShield:
1. Edit <avast>\data\avast4.ini file
2. Find the section [WebScanner]
3. Add the line:
    EnableLogging=1
4. Restart Web Shield in XP/Vista (terminate and start again)
5. Browse (trying to access some webpages)

The log file are <avast>\data\log\ashwebsv.log and ashwebsv.ws.
They would be accessible when WebShield is terminated again.
Post them here or send by mail to rypacek (at) asw.cz
After that, disable the logging to avoid a big log file.

smokethapimp

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 10:13:19 AM »
Hello again. I have another computer I just bought. It has McAfee Security Suite. No Avast on the new machine. Same problem. It is starting to look like a Vista problem. I have Vista Premium on the new Quad-core Box. Will load to 65% of the servers and then stops. Sigh..... I am going to bed. I will fool with it some more tomorrow. I tried running the program with XPSP2 compatibility - no better. Same thing.  Thanks agin all. More tomorrow.......

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 12:30:26 PM »
Hmmm... maybe the OS configurations as you've said, maybe browser settings...

smokethapimp

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 01:27:08 AM »
It is definitely NOT an Avast problem. With the McAfee Security Suite I have tried disabling the Firewall, disabling the browser security, anti-phishing, and personal information. I have allowed pings, I have set the firewall to block NO traffic, incoming or out going, and none of it has helped. I have allowed every single .exe file associated with Unreal Tournament full incoming and outgoing access, turned off the buffer overflow protection - to no avail. When I totally uninstall the McAfee Security Suite all the UT servers load perfectly. Sheeesh. Anyway, sorry to bother you folks with this one. I will keep trying and will post results (if any) just because.

smokethapimp

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 10:48:39 PM »
To date I have not found a satisfactory solution. CA Internet Security Suite would let my game connect to all servers, but caused severe page loading lag at Newegg and some other sites. It also gave me frequent disconnects from the internet that required a system reboot to correct.

The McAfee Security Suite that was pre-installed on this computer would do well in all other areas but would stop my game server loading at 65%.

After totally uninstalling both of these I tried installing JUST Avast and using the Vista (premium) Firewall. Game server stopped loading at 65%. Finally, I uninstalled Avast and Installed AVG and just using Vista Firewall and my gaming server loads to 100% and web page loading speed is excellent. I tried the PC Tools Firewall with AVG, but again experienced the gaming server stopping at 65%. I am not truly happy with AVG/Vista Firewall security solution, but I suppose I will have to accept it for now.