Author Topic: Free home edition  (Read 6350 times)

24giovanni

Free home edition
« on: November 12, 2007, 09:37:12 PM »
Hi, When downloading with the latest home edition my download will stop halfway through it and stop. How can I resolve this issue. I appreciate any help. I have version 4.7.

TIA

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Free home edition
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 09:41:58 PM »
Where are you downloading it from ?

Are you trying to download and install in a single operation, rather than download to your hard disk first before installing ?

Have you tried using a download manager which will allow for continuation where the download stopped, snapfiles.con, download.com, etc.

You say you have avast 4.7, why are you trying to download the latest home version ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 09:44:58 PM »
Are you using dial-up?
Are you downloading from www.avast.com?
Can't you use a download manager like GetRight, DAP, FlashGet or FreeDownloadManager?

Oops. David was faster...
The best things in life are free.

24giovanni

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 11:15:32 PM »
I am using 4.7 not d/l it. I should be able to d/l without issues from anywhere. I try using firefox or IE and I can't without shutting off avast. Why does it prevent my d/l's from stopping during download? Is there a way to go back to an earlier version of a fix for this version?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 12:37:21 AM »
Sorry thought you meant you were downloading avast. What is the full version number of avast that you have, the full version number is something like this 4.7.1074, see the about avast.

avast scans but doesn't block (it isn't a firewall), unless infection is found and then all hell will break loose (audible and visual alerts) so you would know. So I believe there is a conflict somewhere.

What is your firewall ?
How long have you been using avast, before you experienced this problem ?
Try with the web shield terminated and not the full protection.

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

24giovanni

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 01:10:11 AM »
Sorry thought you meant you were downloading avast. What is the full version number of avast that you have, the full version number is something like this 4.7.1074, see the about avast.

avast scans but doesn't block (it isn't a firewall), unless infection is found and then all hell will break loose (audible and visual alerts) so you would know. So I believe there is a conflict somewhere.

What is your firewall ? Zone alarm
How long have you been using avast, before you experienced this problem ? 6 years

Try with the web shield terminated and not the full protection. That worked but is that advisable????????????????

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ? no other AV

« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 01:19:07 AM by 24giovanni »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 01:47:43 AM »
You haven't said what version number of avast you have ?

ZA Free or Pro ?
What is your OS ?
The reason I ask is that there is a bug in ZA when used with Vista that becomes apparent with 4.7.1043 or 1074.

Terminating the Web Shield is preferable to what you said previously, "I try using firefox or IE and I can't without shutting off avast." Which is no protection at all with the web shield terminated you still have some protection with the Standard Shield when files are saved to your hard disk.

24giovanni

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 02:00:42 AM »
You haven't said what version number of avast you have ? mine says 4.7.1043 home edition

ZA Free or Pro ? ZA free
What is your OS ? XP
The reason I ask is that there is a bug in ZA when used with Vista that becomes apparent with 4.7.1043 or 1074.

Terminating the Web Shield is preferable to what you said previously, "I try using firefox or IE and I can't without shutting off avast." Which is no protection at all with the web shield terminated you still have some protection with the Standard Shield when files are saved to your hard disk.

Still, what could cause any D/L to just stop
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 02:07:41 AM by 24giovanni »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 03:38:01 AM »
Based on your OS, ZA type and avast version there shouldn't be anything stopping the download.

Version 4.7.1043 was released on September 6 2007, so nothing in avast has changed recently.
XP and avast have been working well together for some considerable time and since you aren't on Vista that rules out any Vista issues.
Since you are using ZA free rules out any possible with ZA privacy as the free version doesn't have it.

So when did this problem start happening ?
Have you installed any other software at about the time this happened ?

Are you using a download manager ?
I'm at a loss as to why a download would start yet terminate before completion, there is certainly nothing in avast that would initiate this, so I would check your ISP to see if there have been any service problems with dropped connections, etc.

If you can try to respond outside the quoted text as it is easy to miss your comments. That is me for the night, almost 2:40 a.m. here and my bed is calling.