Author Topic: is there a way to choose a "defualt" action when a virus is found?  (Read 3789 times)

koumooo

i've searched but havent found this, and this makes this otherwoise excellent scanner a nuisance to use. I want to be able to select a specific action "like "delete virus" or "atempt to clean" and have that perfromed automoatically by the on access scannenr or the email ascnaner , not requiring me to be on the computer all the time...

many times our users ( we bought 40 licenses...) compain about this as we are a newspaper and they all receive numerous ( read hundreneds to thousands.. emails on their accounts per day EACH... an di assure you hitting 243 times "delete this can make you want to throw your PC out of the window..)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: is there a way to choose a "defualt" action when a virus is found?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 12:23:09 PM »
In the Professional version (see picture here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13315.msg112285#msg112285) you can set automated actions to be taken.

In Home version you can check the option "Don't show this window again" as soon as the first virus warning appears, and click on "No action" button. This way, nothing will be done and you will be presented the results at the end (and you can perform actions from there).

Well, that's the way it is, I am afraid; you may call it a limitation of the Home Edition of avast!
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 02:47:57 PM »
Well, if koumooo says they bought 40 licenses, it sounds like they have avast! Professional.
In that case yes, you can modify the resident protection task (in Enhanced User Interface) - and set the required action on the "Virus" page(s).

koumooo

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 04:17:12 PM »
well i found it.. but your advice is a bit misleading..

first you have to activate >> to do that go to ttolls menu, and pick "switch to enhanced user interface"

then lcikc tasks

right click "resident protection" on the right most pane of the window

click properties

accept the warning ( preferably click do not show this dialog again.. USELSS anyway, , supsodely the user chose conciosuly to use the enhanced interface..)

then you have to click "virus" on each of the providers where ti is avaialble ( P2p shield/instant messaging/outlook /exchange/internet mail/standard shield)

and in EACH one of them....

click "remove last word"
and then either press "delete"
or if you;re optimistic press
"repair" "if falied" "delete"

thast;s something like 20- 45 clicks depdneign on your options!!

============

and no wi have to say this..

was thsi user interface designed by baboons?
what;s thereason you have to dig into the U liek this and click, click, click again and again?
simpel tasks liek these shoudl be aavaialbel easily at the user end.

please consider putting an option at the widnwo that appears when a virus is found that allwos the user the choose a "default" series of actions EASILY.

All in all, thansk guys for your help...
but this program seriously sucks on the UI end ...

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 04:24:51 PM »
Well, the option is somehow dangerous, so it may be good that it's not that easily accessible.

You should consider the possibility of false alarms (which may occassionally happen for every antivirus) - automatic delete, especially for Standard Shield provider... may not be the best idea.

koumooo

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 05:03:59 PM »
well

i have soemthing like 70 users using this software on 40 PCs ( some work mornings , others afternoons on the same PCs...).
they are either journalists or work a lot with the public.
on acverage they receive 97 emails per day each. not counting 4 "master" email acoutns that receive submissions etc. which get around 800-1800 emails each per day. roughly 15% of these are viruses..

it is TERRIBLY tedious to stay there and press 20 times "delete" or whatever" , no to tmention 250 times for the acoutns that are used the most...

do you seriosuly believe a normal user wil ldo that? maybe for 1-2-3 days.. after that must cliock ignore or course,m the progrma, me fro installing it, go and ask the head amanger to change antivirous program and shoot obsenities..

if you dotn believe me i can get you a video... tookone with my mobile a week ago.

maybe"quarantining" is safer, sure. But anyway an easy procedure to choose a defautl course of action is necessary.
period.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 06:45:24 PM »
It is TERRIBLY tedious to stay there and press 20 times "delete" or whatever" , no to tmention 250 times for the acoutns that are used the most...

do you seriosuly believe a normal user wil ldo that?
They aren't common users. If you automatically delete an email that they NEED you won't be able to restore them. Then you've got a problem with an user due to automatic action been taken.

But anyway an easy procedure to choose a defautl course of action is necessary.
period.
Ok. A lot of users asked for a 'central' settings page and don't have a long journey over the interface to find them. Maybe Alwil team think about it on avast 5 version.
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 01:04:25 AM »
If you want only to quarantine the file, you can enable the so called "Silent mode" in the respective resident providers (more exactly, it's called "Silent mode with answer No" in some providers) - you don't even need the Enhanced User Interface for that.

If you are an administrator taking case of tens of computers on the network (which I don't know, but it kinda sounds like that), it's certainly better to install Managed Clients (a special version of avast! Professional) on the workstations and control their settings globally using ADNM.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 01:36:04 AM »
You have made your point about the GUI but you really only seem to express real concern about the thousands of emails. 

If action is not taken at the point of discovery then you have absolutely no choices.

Please see: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=26259.msg214787#msg214787