Author Topic: Ad-Aware scan finds Avast misses?  (Read 6138 times)

2ii2c

Ad-Aware scan finds Avast misses?
« on: November 15, 2007, 06:31:18 PM »
Hello,

Thank you for making Avast 4.7 Home available.  I am a new user.

When I Thorough-Scan my system, Avast finds no malware.
Immediately after,  I scan with Ad-Aware and Avast finds and alerts for malware during the Ad-Aware scan.

Examples:
Nov 15,2007: Avast found 2 instances of VBS:Malware-gen during Ad-Aware scan.

Nov 14,2007: Avast found 2 instances of dummy.class.exe during Ad-Aware scan.

Is this normal?  Should I change settings?  Maybe scan in Safe Mode?
I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks for your help,
2ii2c

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Ad-Aware scan finds Avast misses?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 06:42:47 PM »
My thoughts are that you should pause the standard shield when doing a scan with another security based application. This avoids any possible conflict it will also avoid duplicate scanning and reduce the overall scan duration. If adaware opens a file for scanning, that forces avast to first open it and scan it, if clear then control is handed back to adaware.

You don't say what the file names or locations are so it is not possible to make and determination.

What is the infected file name, where was it found e.g. (C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx) ? 
Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast 'a' icon), Warning section, this contains information on all avast detections.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

2ii2c

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 07:21:36 PM »
My thoughts are that you should pause the standard shield when doing a scan with another security based application. This avoids any possible conflict it will also avoid duplicate scanning and reduce the overall scan duration. If adaware opens a file for scanning, that forces avast to first open it and scan it, if clear then control is handed back to adaware.

You don't say what the file names or locations are so it is not possible to make and determination.

What is the infected file name, where was it found e.g. (C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx) ? 
Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast 'a' icon), Warning section, this contains information on all avast detections.

Thank you DavidR.  I appreciate your help. 
(I hope my lack of knowledge is not the problem.) 

Here is one entry from the Log Viewer:
516   Sign of "VBS:Malware-gen" has been found in "C:\DOCUME~1\ANTI-C~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\AAWTMP\C4059750\37BB3D\Dummy.class" file.
Regarding your comments in the first paragraph:

It appears that Avast finds the virus only after the Adaware scan forces Avast to open and scan the file.  Why doesn't Avast find it earlier during the Avast scan?

My free version of Ad-Aware only scans when I do so manually.  You suggest that I will turn off Avast before I run the Ad-Aware scan?
Then there is the risk that the virus will never be found?
Thanks again,
2ii2c

sanctuary24

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 08:03:28 PM »
Try running the reported infected file through virustotal.com and post the results

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 08:23:33 PM »
Here is one entry from the Log Viewer:
516   Sign of "VBS:Malware-gen" has been found in "C:\DOCUME~1\ANTI-C~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\AAWTMP\C4059750\37BB3D\Dummy.class" file.
<snip>
It appears that Avast finds the virus only after the Adaware scan forces Avast to open and scan the file.  Why doesn't Avast find it earlier during the Avast scan?

Because it doesn't exist before you run adaware, if you check the file location you will see it is a temporary location. Another reason I feel for pausing the standard shield when running other security applications. If the others are from similar temp locations, the same applies or post their file names and locations.

My free version of Ad-Aware only scans when I do so manually.  You suggest that I will turn off Avast before I run the Ad-Aware scan?
Then there is the risk that the virus will never be found?

Not turn off avast completely, just pause the standard shield provider.

You won't find what doesn't exist outside the adaware scan as on completion of the adaware scan, it clears the temp folder and files it created.

Try running the reported infected file through virustotal.com and post the results

This may not be possible if 2ii2c didn't send it to the chest (would need to export to check with VT) or save a copy as the files are cleared after the adaware scan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

2ii2c

Re: Ad-Aware scan finds Avast misses?[Done.Thanks.]
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 08:36:14 PM »
Thank you very much DavidR and Sanctuary24.
Now I understand your comments and suggestions.

Best regards,
2ii2c

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 09:42:56 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.

There is nothing wrong with submitting the sample to VT if you wish (and if you did send it to the chest), to confirm it was a good detection. Let us know and we will advise you.

ZEK

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 10:26:10 AM »
Help  (C:\autorun.,D:\autorun.inf) ---VBS:Malware-gen?

CharleyO

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 02:47:33 AM »

Welcome to the forums, ZEK.

You have added your question to a thread that is now several months old. As such, it may not get noticed much. Please start a new thread for your problem and please give more information ... OS, security programs, how this was found, & where it was found.