Author Topic: IBM ThinkVantage Access Connection & Avast  (Read 4337 times)

cbarnett

IBM ThinkVantage Access Connection & Avast
« on: November 16, 2007, 04:13:41 AM »
I know this was covered in a previous topic, but I don't think it was dealt with.  The problem seemed to go away for the guys.

The Avast Standard Shield Provider prevents the IBM Thinkvantage Access Connection software from running.  It starts, then stalls.  If I stop the provider, Access Connection continues to start, and works fine.  Since this was a friend's computer, I thought the easy answer would be to replace Avast with AVG, despite my long, long, positive relationship with Avast, however, the same problem exists with AVG.  Obviously this is not a problem with Avast, but any ideas what's going on?

BTW - I put Avast back.  It is definitely the better product.

jwall

Re: IBM ThinkVantage Access Connection & Avast
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 02:45:25 PM »
Hmm, I'll have to check.  My old IBM laptop has that, but I've had no problem, but I don't have the Think Vantage running in the background.  I've never had a problem so far with updating it though.
I have standard shield and web shield running.

cbarnett

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 02:24:15 PM »
The Thinkvantage Access Connection software, is the network management tool.  It's what you need to switch networks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 07:07:22 PM »
The Avast Standard Shield Provider prevents the IBM Thinkvantage Access Connection software from running.  It starts, then stalls.  If I stop the provider, Access Connection continues to start, and works fine.
If you stop only WebShield, will it work?
Which firewall do you use?
avast shouldn't block anything, it just scans...
The best things in life are free.

jwall

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 07:48:28 PM »
Tech,
The firewall may be the key.

As I mentioned, no problem here, but I use a router and its firewall?
I also stopped any IBM scheduling or anything IBM running in the background. (msconfig)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 07:54:38 PM by jwall »

cbarnett

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 04:36:13 AM »
If I stop only the Standard Shield everything is fine.  That's looking at hard drive access, is it not?

BTW - With the Standard Shield active, Avast is scanning constantly.  The blue ball never stops spinning.

I use the Windows firewall.

Why would the firewall be the issue?

jwall

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 06:56:55 PM »
I did some checking on my old IBM laptop and I have a very old version of the ThinkVantage Connection which I don't use, I'm just a home user and don't need to switch networks.  So, maybe that's why I don't have problems.  Just a guess though.  Perhaps more knowledgeable users here can help.

Maybe a setting somewhere or have avast ignore the ThinkVantage Connection command line?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 08:56:43 PM by jwall »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 07:22:51 PM »
With the Standard Shield active, Avast is scanning constantly.  The blue ball never stops spinning.
If you open the providers panel, left clicking the 'a' blue icon and then clicking the Details button (if necessary). Which provider is scanning? Standard Shield? What other programs are running in background.

I use the Windows firewall.
Why would the firewall be the issue?
Firewall is generally related to blocking access or connection...
The best things in life are free.