Author Topic: Two Problems: scanning time and scanning report  (Read 4105 times)

luis040

Two Problems: scanning time and scanning report
« on: October 20, 2007, 10:12:36 PM »
Hello:

I have two problems.

I can no longer view my scan report. After Avast ends it's scanning I click the link to view the report, the web page will start opening but at certain point the machine freezes. Nothing opens not even the task manager so I have to restart the CPU loosing the report. If I then try to access to it through the Avast folder the same thing happens again ???

In other order of ideas I did a full scan yesterday and it took more than 13 hours. My machine is a P4, Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2, 2.4 GHz, 512 Mb Ram, 80 GB Hard Disk. I also have Spyware Terminator Real Time Shield and Spybot Tea Timer. The last full scan, a couple of months ago, lasted 7 hours but now it is kind of too long. :o

Can somebody give me ideas of what is happening? Thanks

luis040

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Two Problems: scanning time and scanning report
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 12:03:55 AM »
I can no longer view my scan report. After Avast ends it's scanning I click the link to view the report, the web page will start opening but at certain point the machine freezes. Nothing opens not even the task manager so I have to restart the CPU loosing the report. If I then try to access to it through the Avast folder the same thing happens again ???
Are you saying that the report will open the browser?
Which kind of report (txt or xml) did you choose?

In other order of ideas I did a full scan yesterday and it took more than 13 hours. My machine is a P4, Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2, 2.4 GHz, 512 Mb Ram, 80 GB Hard Disk. I also have Spyware Terminator Real Time Shield and Spybot Tea Timer. The last full scan, a couple of months ago, lasted 7 hours but now it is kind of too long. :o Can somebody give me ideas of what is happening? Thanks[/color]
If you disable Spyware Terminator Real Time Shield and Spybot Tea Timer while scanning, will the time be similar to the first one?
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 03:18:19 PM »

My guess is that your report file grew too big over the time (could be hundreds of megabytes, or even more). Check the report file creation options in program settings - do you have the "Overwrite existing" option checked? (if not, the new report is always appended after the previous one, so it grows quite quickly).
Or, if you have the option to include the "OK files" into the report, it would probably be huge on every scan of your disk.

In other order of ideas I did a full scan yesterday and it took more than 13 hours. My machine is a P4, Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2, 2.4 GHz, 512 Mb Ram, 80 GB Hard Disk. I also have Spyware Terminator Real Time Shield and Spybot Tea Timer. The last full scan, a couple of months ago, lasted 7 hours but now it is kind of too long. :o

Could be caused either by an increased number of files on your disk (you downloaded or installed some new stuff), or by new packers added in newer avast! versions (i.e. avast! is now able to process the content of more archives, especially installers) - if you scan the disk with "archive scanning" enabled.

luis040

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 02:55:35 AM »
Hello Tech and Igor:

Thank you so much for your answers. :)

This is what I have done so far.

I checked the settings for the report file creation and found out that the overwriting option was not selected so I changed. I also unchecked the OK files. About the type of report is XML and yes when I choose the link to view the report it will open the browser.

My intention is to run a full scan next Friday. I will do it without the archive scanning on and with both spyware real protection programs disabled. As soon I have the results I will let you know.

Thanks again. 8)

luis040

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 03:12:58 AM »
My intention is to run a full scan next Friday. I will do it without the archive scanning on and with both spyware real protection programs disabled. As soon I have the results I will let you know.
We'll be here. But, anyway, you can let archive scanning turned on if you want...

luis040

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 11:39:58 PM »
Hello Tech and Igor:

I am so sorry I could not do as I said I would. It has not been until this last Friday that I finally was able to run a full scan again. And I have to tell you it was great 8). It only lasted a couple of hours and afterwards I had no problem to view the report. This is what I did:

1) I chose overwriting option.
2) I changed to txt type. Using this option when I wanted to see the report the browser did not open. Instead the report was on the notepad.
3) I disabled the clam antivirus option of the Spyware Terminator program.
4) I did not disable neither Tea Timer Spybot nor Real Time protection of Spyware Terminator.
5) I switched back to the 1.4 version of Spybot(I had the 1.5 but it was kind of slow)
6) I unchecked the archive scanning option.

Thank so much for your help and sorry again for the late respond :-[
Greetings
luis040

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 01:21:22 AM »
It only lasted a couple of hours and afterwards I had no problem to view the report.
6) I unchecked the archive scanning option.
Luis, the main reason of a 'quick' scanning was that avast does not have to unpack archives and scan the files. The archive option increases the scanning time, but, from time to time, it's good to check it and rest in peace with your clean computer 8)

luis040

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 01:16:49 AM »
Hello Tech:
This last Friday I did a new full scan with the archive scanning option selected. Even it took a little longer (almost 4 hours) it is much better than when I started this post.  8)
Considering what I did, even though I do not know much about computer stuff, my guess is that probably the clam antivirus option of the spyware terminator is not compatible with avast. ??? What do you think?
Thanks again for your advices and time,
Greetings,
luis040

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 01:33:32 AM »
Even though the ClamAV integration with Spyware Terminator is meant to be on-demand there are services running (probably needed because of integration), I don't know if there might be anything else running. So personally I would not recommend using it to avoid any possible conflict.

If you are looking for an on-demand scanner as a back-up scanner that you run periodically, then BitDefender free is on-demand only and you could check out the stand alone ClamAv as that 'is' meant to be on-demand only.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 06:54:32 PM »
my guess is that probably the clam antivirus option of the spyware terminator is not compatible with avast. ???
Yes, it is compatible.
It's your choice to have it only on-demand or on-access (resident). I think it takes much resources being on-access. But it is compatible with avast.