Author Topic: Where is the Mail Protection Wizard - Need to Fix Win98 Setup Problem  (Read 6905 times)

dwechs

I am a VERY new user to Avast.  After initial installation, my Win98 Outlook Express fails with the message:
The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.west.cox.net', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E"[/i][/i]

This looks very similar to the avast E-mail Problems FAQ, which states:  "avast! 4 appears to change my POP3 and SMPT settings to 127.0.0.1 and the names of my e-mail accounts are also modified, so I cannot send any messages."

So, I am trying to follow avast's instructions to eliminate this condition.  However, modifications require starting the Start Mail Protection Wizard.  Could someone tell me where this Wizard is, and how to start it?  Thanks very much.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: Where is the Mail Protection Wizard - Need to Fix Win98 Setup Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 06:21:19 AM »
In mine it's start, programs,  avast antivirus.

The help files show how to configure your mail settings, And ashmaisv.exe needs internet access.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 06:50:50 PM »
If you have Windows 98\Me, see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?action=display;board=2;threadid=7913;start=0#msg64228

With Win98 SE you should have:

pop3 server= smtp server = 127.0.0.1
username = mail.server.coml#user or mail.server.com#user@server.com
smtp authentication enabled and the username there = mail.server.coml#user or mail.server.com#user@server.com
The best things in life are free.

E

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 08:20:05 PM »
I have a sort of problem regarding setting up the Outlook mail scanner using XP. It mentions that 4.5 and above sets up mail scanning automatically yet when I look at the on-access page, it still mentions that the scanner is waiting for a subsystem to start up. I entered the SMPT, as well as the other ISP information into the internet accounts dialog box but never saw Avast try to change those SMTP and pop3 settings from the ISP into something a little different.

I saw the FAQ about the INI file but I presumed thats just for if your using an older version of Avast along with a pre-XP OS..

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 08:23:16 PM »
It still mentions that the scanner is waiting for a subsystem to start up.
Are you talking about Outlook Express and Internet Mail Provider?
Or, on contrary, MS Outlook and Outlook plugin?

E

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 09:01:11 PM »
Oh sorry, you mean where it says installed providers ? Its that Outlook/exchange one

Everything I typed in the new accounts page (Outlook Express) came straight from the ISP email account with no modifications. I then rebooted the system to see if Avast would alter anything but settings still look the same..

« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 09:24:47 PM by E »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 09:37:15 PM »
Oh sorry, you mean where it says installed providers ? Its that Outlook/exchange one
As reported a lot of times, the message "The provider is waiting on the subsystem to start" will be shown there until you open MS Outlook. The plugin will be enabled automatically after that.
Everything I typed in the new accounts page (Outlook Express) came straight from the ISP email account with no modifications. I then rebooted the system to see if Avast would alter anything but settings still look the same.
avast only changes on installation, when avast is installed. If you have avast already installed, you need to manually run Mail Protection Wizard. Remember to close OE before running it.

E

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 09:39:29 PM »
I spoke too soon, just noticed that its the Internet Mail resident scanning anything I send from Outlook.

So the Outlook/Exchange provider isn't used for Express ?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 09:46:49 PM »
I spoke too soon, just noticed that its the Internet Mail resident scanning anything I send from Outlook.
Run Mail Protection Wizard.

So the Outlook/Exchange provider isn't used for Express ?
No, only for full MS Outlook.
The OE uses Internet Mail provider from avast.

E

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 09:47:22 PM »
About that setup wizard.. I couldn't find that anywhere within the different program options
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 09:54:11 PM by E »

E

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 09:55:43 PM »
Do I still need to use it if the standard mail resident is working normal ?

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 09:59:10 PM »
You have xp, the mail protection is automatic (transparent) With win 98/me you have to run the wizard.

You should be all right.[

quote author=E link=topic=31575.msg263089#msg263089 date=1195502471]

Everything I typed in the new accounts page (Outlook Express) came straight from the ISP email account with no modifications. I then rebooted the system to see if Avast would alter anything but settings still look the same..
[/quote]

The setting won't change with XP

E

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 10:16:22 PM »
Well the confusion came down to just getting the standard mail and outlook residents mixed up. At least I learnt something, heh..

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 11:17:30 PM »
About that setup wizard.. I couldn't find that anywhere within the different program options
1. Configure your email accounts to work without the antivirus and test them.
2. If everything is fine, close all your email clients (programs).
3. Start Menu > All programs > avast antivirus > Mail Protection Wizard
4. Follow the non Outlook/Exchange option (i.e., the second one).
    You can choose the supported email programs and select all the accounts
    (even the ones created in the future).
5. Configure your email accounts to use avast! as antivirus.

Hope this helps.

More information here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=9;action=display;threadid=4818;start=msg34754#msg34754

E

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 02:41:58 PM »
OK, I turned off the AV to check to see if I could still send mail, and there did not seem to be any problems there.

Then I switched off Outlook Express but I still couldn't see where to find the Mail Protection Wizard... like within the All Programs list in the start menu for example. Like I already say though, the regular Internet Mail scanner seems to be working normal, Its just that I always thought it was the Outlook/Exchange scanner that should be in use and so wasn't noticing that it was the other mail scanner in use, lol...

Something I noticed though. Even if the heuristics tab in the Internet Mail resident is set to anything but custom, the fact that the heuristics-advanced tab is faded out, doesn't meant that its switched off right ? The AV will still detect a virus is in the address book if it tries sending more than 10 emails within 30 seconds ? It might seem like an odd question but its just that I usually associate faded menu with something which is turned off..
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 02:55:34 PM by E »