Author Topic: Check an URL against malware!  (Read 17991 times)

rdmaloyjr

Re: Check an URL against malware!
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2007, 05:10:01 AM »
How about Web Security Guard?

Unfortunately it doesn't work with Opera.  No big deal though, Dr. Web Link Checker & Scandoo are enough.

Before I lock up my computer in a vault in Fort Knox I'll just unplug it from the internet. ;D ;D ;D

If surfing the web gets too scary I have an independent (I don't like suites) HIPS software I can turn on &/or a sandbox, if necessary. ;)

I think my security setup in my sig. is enough.

Lusher

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2007, 02:34:01 PM »
Hi Lusher,

You can never be too paranoid.

Wrong. You *CAN* be too paranoid. The fact that you say you can't, tells me you don't know what paranoid means. :D Please join me at places like Wilders Security forum before you say things like that. :D You can see people running all manner of security programs, freaking out over every "test" that their setup fails, seeing "ghosts" (easy to do when they are running several kernel level security software that conflict with each other on some level) that (to them)indicates super stealthy rootkits on their system , who worry about totally theortical threats that no one has even thought is possible...

On the Internet the best attitude is to never trust anyone.

That's not being paranoid, that's just common sense. You really don't know what paranonia means.

Do not trust your links to take you to a malware free site. There is always danger looming round an unexpected corner, the only thing you can do is minimizie the risk you run. That means take a couple of steps that really help. A. Always have the latest version of software on your box, always have the latest version of Java (check this). B. Try to minimize running script, I for instance would not touch a browser without the NoScript extension where I can deny script running in the browser, deny browser hijacks, redirects etc., that is why I use FF or Flock or Torpark. C. Do your surfing, mailing or other net services on an account without full admin rights, but with normal user rights (I use admin rights only for updating Microsoft and installing or deleting software). I have two accounts on my XP: one with full admin rights and SafeXP installed, the other with normal user rights and SafeXP installed.

*Yawn*, you know what? All this is nothing compared to what real paranoids do. Here's a light weight version.

First they do system hardening... turn off everything unnecessary (not just browsers but other unnecessary system services). Then they run with reduced rights their browsers, and then also *Sandbox* the browser (which goes beyond non-admin) for good measure. If by some miracle anything
gets past that, they still need to get past the virus/antispyware/trojan scanners, as well as the  behavior blockers (smart and dumb). And on top of that all this is running in VM , or is in on the real machine but in "virtualized/shadow" mode using something like returnil or FDISR

And I'm still leaving out all the other minor stuff they do with blacklists, minor tweaks to confound expectation etc..

And i believe a setup like this scored only 7/10 :D

But then again despite you are paranoid, are attentive, you can fall victim to some zero day malware, but I have stayed free of malware since the day I started to become a malware fighter for avast.

Since the day you started? Does that imply you were infected before that?

Let me guess you are one of those who got infected one day, got mad (and scared) and vowed "Never again...."  and started on this quest of yours to destroy all malware? Funny how many of the most "paranoid" people start that way.

Too bad, I never ever got infected since starting with computers in 75... Not that I was smarter or more skilled than anyone, just luckier maybe. But perhaps the fact that i have never being infected (not on purpose anyway) , makes me less likely to say things like "you can never be too paranoid.."

You CAN be too paranoid. Just ask the guys whose computers are groaning under the weight of several different top class security software (none of them are duplications per se ie not 2 antivirus kind of setuops) and who jump at shadows...

Lusher

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2007, 02:36:54 PM »
How about Web Security Guard?

Unfortunately it doesn't work with Opera.  No big deal though, Dr. Web Link Checker & Scandoo are enough.

Before I lock up my computer in a vault in Fort Knox I'll just unplug it from the internet. ;D ;D ;D

If surfing the web gets too scary I have an independent (I don't like suites) HIPS software I can turn on &/or a sandbox, if necessary. ;)

I think my security setup in my sig. is enough.

As I said, try a sandbox. Nothing will increase your resistance to malware (via exploits) coming through browsers than a sandbox. There are many good free and paid choices...

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2007, 04:02:59 PM »
Hi Lusher,

Well I think part of your analysis is quite right, I became interested in helping out people with malware from the moment I had to clean my computer which only could be done using a linux virtual, and then yes I sworn to myself to learn more about it. Getting infected and the struggle to get a compromised system clean, can be quite traumatic. I think the actual security I have on my XP box is not overkill, just avast av with some non-residental scanners to close the vulnerability gap, Comodo FW with BoClean, a-squared free and ewido micro, spywareblaster and ad-aware free, all the rest is on-demand.
Running a browser in a sandbox would kill a lot of browser security problems, or most, but I feel secure with in-browser scanning and NoScript installed when I do not have to lift it temporarily. Cache cleaners and ATF for example top off my security measures. After I started to frequent the Avast Webforum I have not got any malware worse than some tracking cookies, but I clean cookies after every browser session.
Knowing what actions to avoid is also part of feeling more secure, and being paranoid also has to do with not fully understanding what malware can do to a computer, one starts fighting windmills like Don Quichote. In some way I think you are secure because you simply use good common sense where security is concerned, and for that I compliment you,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2007, 04:33:10 AM »
Polonus,

I got rid of Ad-Aware SE & A-Squared because they only find fp's.  They're a waste of hd space.

Lusher,

In my previous post in this thread I said I have a sandbox (free) & HIPS should I feel the need to use them.  I don't feel the need.  Sometimes when I am connected to a public WIFI I will use HIPS.  Mostly I don't bother.  My security listed in my sig. does a fantastic job.  Too much security has the potential to conflict.  The conflict may come from robbing resources from each other in my resource starved computers.  When I use VOIP, I can only run av, as & fw.

Lusher

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2007, 04:03:32 PM »
rdmaloyjr I'm not saying everyone has to run the most heavy duty HIPS, sandbox, etc etc . I was just reacting to  polonus's statement that it is not possible to be too paranoid...

If you are happy with your setup, more power to you.

Polonus

being paranoid also has to do with not fully understanding what malware can do to a computer, one starts fighting windmills like Don Quichote.

I think sometimes, it is very easy to lose sight of the fact that there is no such thing as 100% security, and start worrying about the 0.001% left that might conceivably break through....

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2007, 09:17:30 PM »
Lusher,

I think Polonus, you & I are in agreement, we're just using a few different words. ;D

There are different security choices that achieve the same results. :)

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2007, 12:41:45 AM »
I tried Web Security Guard.  It slowed my internet way down, especially the uploads.  I uninstalled it from both computers, now my internet is back up to speed.  With WSG my high speed cable internet seemed like dialup!