Author Topic: hope you can all help with this one  (Read 15613 times)

ash71

Re: hope you can all help with this one
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2007, 10:19:13 PM »
sorry did you want me to fix O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe as well?
or leave it

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2007, 11:00:12 PM »
I don't see anything else obvious in the log are you noticing that feel is strange, etc. ?

Ensure you have the latest version of JRE (JAVA Runtime Environment) because older versions can be vulnerable to malware, yours is one update out. First remove All Older Versions From Add/Remove Programs.

Then get the latest update from here http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Or JRE version 6 update 3 http://www.majorgeeks.com/Sun_Java_Runtime_Environment_d4648.html

Personally I would fix the O23 symantec entry as effectively you don't have it installed and the purpose of the removal tools was to remove these remnants.
You don't have any other symantec products ?
Does that folder and file exist ?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 11:03:29 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ash71

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2007, 11:33:08 PM »
ive just looked yes its still there. by just removeing 023 that will get rid of it all? oh and im guessing that i should delete spywarebot too?.. i must admit i havent run avast since monday i think but i will and see if any thing is picked up once you let me know what to do with spywarebot and then i'll go back to using spybot search aand destroy if you think that would be wise

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2007, 12:53:20 AM »
Removing the O23 entry may not get rid of the file but at least it won't be running, you can delete the file after a while if there is no issue with the removed entry which I doubt.

Yes remove the remaining spywarebot.

Personally I feel spybot S&D is a bit lightweight now, SuperAntiSpyware would be a better bet, but there would be no problem having S&D as another on-demand anti-spyware scanner.

You don;t have to run avast as it is a resident scanner so if there is an 'active' problem then avast should alert you. I just do a weekly on-demand scan with avast and then only Standard sensitivity without archives.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ash71

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2007, 12:09:41 PM »
ok i will remove  them both the only problem i seem to be geting now is on start up i gat a message that  : windows cannot open this file. file : palstart.ink.disabled.
do i want to sear the web for an appropriate programme . i think what i have done i have removed s&d and im going to use SAS  but it was in the start up options so can i use hjt to remove it totally from my machine as add and remove wont touch it as there are files missing with those .. i think i can see 3 entryies with paltalk in them in the hjt logs wouls i have to remove all of them?

ash71

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2007, 12:13:56 PM »
also ive just looked and there is nowwhere i can uninstall spywarebot from its not in add and remove nor is it in the progame bar where shoud i do this please?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2007, 12:37:36 PM »
also ive just looked and there is nowwhere i can uninstall spywarebot from its not in add and remove nor is it in the progame bar where shoud i do this please?
The antispyware program should be able to detect and remove the spyware product.
Sometimes RogueRemover (www.malwarebytes.org) could do the job too.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2007, 03:59:00 PM »
ok i will remove  them both the only problem i seem to be geting now is on start up i gat a message that  : windows cannot open this file. file : palstart.ink.disabled.
do i want to sear the web for an appropriate programme.

Well we didn't mention any action for PalStart or PalTalk as far as I'm aware and it was already disabled in your first HJT log, so I would have thought that this startup message would have been there for some time.

O4 - Global Startup: PalStart.lnk.disabled
O4 - Global Startup: PalTalk.lnk = C:\Program Files\Paltalk Messenger\paltalk.exe

This seems to be the regular entry for PalStart:
O4 - Global Startup: PalStart.lnk = C:\Program Files\Paltalk Messenger\palstart.exe.

I think this might be due to the fact you also have an entry for PalTalk which is almost identical to the one above for, I haven't used either and I'm thinking you use paltalk and previously used palstart, by using the paltalk perhaps that disabled and changed the entry.

i think what i have done i have removed s&d and im going to use SAS  but it was in the start up options so can i use hjt to remove it totally from my machine as add and remove wont touch it as there are files missing with those .. i think i can see 3 entryies with paltalk in them in the hjt logs wouls i have to remove all of them?

HJT is no subdstitut for uninstalling applications you no longer use, it just removes registry entries and 'on some specific occasions, files mentioned in that HTJ entry.' Doing a normal uninstall for S&D using add remove programs is the correct action if you no longer want it installed, that should remove the startup entry for S&D.

You really need to know what programs you use on your system, because if you remove the paltalk entries you won't be able to run PalTalk Messenger on startup. If you don't want it to run on startup, yes remover the entries. But if you don't use the program then use add remove programs to uninstall it.

Decisions like this we can't really make for you, you need to know the applications that you use and how you use them, so if you are using paltalk and you are hapy that it starts on boot then leave the paltalk entries alone and leave the program installed.

However, I suspect you do use the PalTalk Messenger program in which case leave it alone and probably remove the dead palstart entry which is disabled anyway, as I said we can't make that decision for you.
O4 - Global Startup: PalStart.lnk.disabled

ash71

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2007, 06:16:56 PM »
yes paltalk was a programme that was used but no more ive tried to remove it using the add and remove but it wont remove it as i get a fatal error message could not open configuration file c: programe files\paltalkmessenger\irunin.dat  i want to remove this as it is no longer used.
s&d was removed using the add and remove programe, and this is ok. as for as i can see spywarebot is no longer in my programe list but is still on my desk top also it is not in the add and remove programs so does this mean its gone and all that is left is a dead shortcut as it is no longer showing the spywarebot symbol but just the little tv screen as such.

ash71

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2007, 06:33:39 PM »
i hope im not being a pain now , i just thought id run avast anti virus , but now i have an error with that unable to load due to unknown error
skin is not complete skin not load properly ive tried going ito add and remove and selecting repair but still the same , any ideas or will i have to delete it and install it again?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2007, 06:37:57 PM »
skin is not complete skin
Try running ashSimp2.exe (skinless interface) until you get clean, isolating and troubleshooting this.
The best things in life are free.

ash71

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2007, 06:42:17 PM »
wow that was quick i was just about to delete that last one as i downloaded the skin from the website and all ok now... but thankyou tech for you very quick response as well the rest of this forum to problems

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2007, 07:26:45 PM »
yes paltalk was a programme that was used but no more ive tried to remove it using the add and remove but it wont remove it as i get a fatal error message could not open configuration file c: programe files\paltalkmessenger\irunin.dat  i want to remove this as it is no longer used.
s&d was removed using the add and remove programe, and this is ok. as for as i can see spywarebot is no longer in my programe list but is still on my desk top also it is not in the add and remove programs so does this mean its gone and all that is left is a dead shortcut as it is no longer showing the spywarebot symbol but just the little tv screen as such.

If you want to remove it and then add remove isn't working then remove the entries in HJT and then look for the folders in windows explorer C:\Program Files\Paltalk Messenger\ and delete it and all its contents.

This is a dirty method of getting rid of a program when add remove programs doesn't work and you may get some errors on startup as you did about palstart, but hopefully HJT will have got rid of those entries.

There are some applications that can uninstall programs without the aid of add remove programs, I don't use them and unfortunately I can't recall one, perhaps one of the other forum members can suggest/recommend one.

Yes delete the desktop short cut for S&D it is redundant as the S&D icon comes from the file if that is cone on spybot icon.

ash71

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2007, 03:50:01 PM »
yes i will look for a removal programe so i can remove it properly.
i would like to thankyou all for your help with my problem, i ran avast antivirus last night and nothing was found , also SAS found only 1 entry from spywarebot which it quarantined and removed.so again thankyou for the fast response and help that this forum provided in a panicy time.
im now running avast anti virus macafee firewall SAS as well as windows defender and panda anti rootkit, hopefully i should remain safer now.
so i guess the time has come to turn back on system restore  :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 03:53:01 PM by ash71 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2007, 03:51:45 PM »
Your welcome.