Author Topic: Avast 4 and a windows 2000 hit by win32:trojan-gen  (Read 5543 times)

geoffers

Avast 4 and a windows 2000 hit by win32:trojan-gen
« on: May 12, 2003, 10:50:30 AM »
I have been successfully running Avast 4 for a number of weeks on my machine.

Problems as of yesterday.

Running Windows 2000 op system

Would not fully start up yesterday morning (icons in bottom left of screen appeared but  only up to the point where both the avast icons would appear but didn't. Then the computer just sat there as if normal but would freeze if attempted to run applications

Started in safe mode and was eventually able to run Avast and discovered WIN32:Trojan-gen (vc) at programme files\alwilsoftware\avast4\data\moved\stde9.exe

During running boot routine Message came up : ...avast antivirus............unhadled exception error 3221225477

exact details of what happened thereafter unclear as 3 hours had passed, however the following also happened

message:avast: the AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error continually comes up if attempting to run avast (except through main control panel)

avast icon now has red circle with line through on it (this can be temporarily overcome by running control panel/administrative tools/services/avast

Discovered further virus : win32:Kwbot-D [win] at several other locations including: system32\cmd32.exe; user32\ACD See 5.5.exe; Plus various ..crack.exe's

I have to disable mail checking through the wizard to get to my mail obviouslt highly unsatisfactory

I do not have a 'Chest'!

My operating system (and my computer) appear now to be running normally........although I remain very nervous

I work full time from home on the computer, use broadband continually and mail my work to clients several times a day

PHEW..

Please help - URGENT

Geoff Broughton

Conservatory Art & Design

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re:Avast 4 and a windows 2000 hit by win32:trojan-gen
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2003, 12:59:00 PM »
You can search by yourself using this Link: http://www.virusbtn.com/resources/vgrep/vgrep.cgi?terms=Kwbot&product=0

But if Avast does not find anything else, you could be free of Viruses. YOu can take a look into your Startup folders or Registry Startups using  MSCONFIG.EXE, if there still are some strange entries.

BTW: Do you know where you get this one from? If you are using Kazaa or other P2P Software, you should not using it on that Computer or Network you need for work!
MfG Ralf

bman

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 03:42:39 PM »
It is probably a false alert. I have similar problem and discussed with Alwil soft.  
Wait for next virus database update. ;)

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2003, 04:07:33 PM »
The Trojan-gen(VC) detection maybe is a false alarm, but the KwBOT is  definitive no false alarm.
MfG Ralf