Author Topic: Anyone using ZoneAlarm Free - Help please  (Read 24648 times)

GrahamE

Anyone using ZoneAlarm Free - Help please
« on: November 20, 2007, 06:07:08 PM »
Hello everyone,

I've been having problems recently with Avast freezing during scans, and due to the incredible efforts of Igor and Vlk, the problem has been solved. It was caused by conflict with Kaspersky drivers, probably installed by ZoneAlarm, which it would seem uses the drivers as part of it's program. I'm wondering if anyone else has been having a problem, but more importantly, would you mind checking to see if you have any of these entries on your PC. The typed one is the one I had to delete to stop the conflict, the ones in the image are entries for the offending item ('Klif') which are still on my system.

C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Klif

Many thanks for any help.

Graham.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Anyone using ZoneAlarm Free - Help please
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 06:22:21 PM »
Graham, I've tested ZA and avast on Vista. I have a delay problem in each connection. So I've uninstalled it. Right now, I have no 3rd party firewall. I do not know that ZA was using Kaspersky drivers but, indeed, klif seems to be a Kaspersky file.
The best things in life are free.

GrahamE

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 06:28:46 PM »
I have a delay problem in each connection.

Hi Tech,

Thanks for replying. Sorry, what does that mean?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 06:37:57 PM »
Thanks for replying. Sorry, what does that mean?
I problem (bug) in ZA drivers delay 1-2 second each connection by WebShield.
So, the overall browsing and Internet applications are too slow... with delays.
Vlk has posted about this problem in the beta forum.

GrahamE

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 06:41:57 PM »
Oh, right, got you! I'm one of the unfortunates (hmm) who is still on XP!  ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 06:46:36 PM »
Oh, right, got you! I'm one of the unfortunates (hmm) who is still on XP!  ;D
You're not alone. I have one computer (laptop) with Vista and other desktop with XP.
In both, a dual boot system with Kubuntu 7.10 ;)

GrahamE

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 06:52:41 PM »
You don't use ZA on the XP system either, any more?

Rick F

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 06:54:07 PM »
GrahamE,

I'm still on XP as well (Media Ctr).  I use ZA free (version:7.0.302.000) and don't have any problem with avast! freezing.

I checked for the files you listed.  I don't have the one that you typed and said you deleted (Klif)... and I didn't expect to either since you deleted.  The only one I have in the image you posted is the first one... under the 'catroot'.  All of the others I don't have.  In fact, I don't have the subdir 'instdrivers' under 'avsys' under Zonelabs.

Hope this helps.

Oops... edit. I do have the 'catroot', but not the 'instdriver' subdir.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 07:01:47 PM by Rick F »

GrahamE

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 07:01:11 PM »
Hi Rick,

It's very interesting. I'm using version 7.0.408.000, which is three updates ahead of your version (http://www.filehippo.com/download_zonealarm_free/tech/ ). Is there a reason why you're on that version - did you have trouble with newer versions? I can find no mention of antivirus protection being added to later free versions, so why I have those files is another mystery.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 07:06:36 PM »
You don't use ZA on the XP system either, any more?
No... a long time ago I've changed to Comodo (v2), working smoothly on XP with avast.

Rick F

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 07:07:11 PM »
GrahamE,

Re read my post.  Had to edit the subdir I don't have.

Is there a reason why you're on that version - did you have trouble with newer versions?

Years ago I was on ZAP (pro version) when I still had Win98.  All of a sudden I had all kinds of problems with it.  I had purchased a 2 yr licensce, and lost my second year of use as I had to fall back to a prior version. Then when I upgraded to a new PC less than a yr ago (WinXP though... never Vista), I went with the free version.

I guess I'm just leary of upgrading ZA again thus taking a chance the newer version won't work.  ::)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot

GrahamE

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 07:18:55 PM »
No... a long time ago I've changed to Comodo (v2), working smoothly on XP with avast.

Ok, thanks Tech.

GrahamE,

Re read my post.  Had to edit the subdir I don't have.

Ok, thanks Rick. I've heard of people experiencing problems with different ZA updates. I've been fine with this one up until this recent problem though. It remains a mystery. Hopefully someone using a later version will post. It looks like my best bet is going to be a complete removal of ZA and a reinstall, and hopefully the offending files won't be there any more.

Graham.

GrahamE

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 07:30:00 PM »
version 7.0.408.000
http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=BR&lang=pt
Strange, I have ZoneAlarm Free 7.1.100.000 ???

Funnily enough, i looked at that earlier, and was going to download it in case I wanted to reinstall it (I thought I'd get a fresh download). On starting the download though, it's a 205KB file. How does that work?

More searching revealed this http://www.majorgeeks.com/ZoneAlarm_Free_d388.html which is a 205KB download of my version. Note what it says under "Editor's Note". Could this be where the 'extras' come from?

I still don't understand why the problem only just occurred though, I've had my current version installed for 2 months at least, with Avast scanning fine.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 07:36:21 PM »
On starting the download though, it's a 205KB file. How does that work?
It's a small tool that download (or download and install) the full setup of the free (or paid) version.