Author Topic: Anyone using ZoneAlarm Free - Help please  (Read 24749 times)

GrahamE

Re: Anyone using ZoneAlarm Free - Help please
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 07:38:21 PM »
Right, I see. Thanks Tech.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 07:39:31 PM »
Right, I see. Thanks Tech.
You're always welcome.
The best things in life are free.

Joe S

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 11:17:29 PM »
I dumped Zone Alarm free a few weeks ago and went to Comodo free. My connectivity problems ceased. With the last builds of Zone Alarm I've had problems loosing connectivity when a browser wasn't connected to the web. There were also pauses while surfing with Zone Alarm that are gone now.
Joe

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 11:19:28 PM »
There were also pauses while surfing with Zone Alarm that are gone now.
Joe
This is a bug in ZoneAlarm that delays connections 1-2 seconds...

GrahamE

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2007, 01:10:35 AM »
I completely uninstalled ZA, removed anything I could find in regedit, ran CCleaner and RegSeeker, and then reinstalled. Every single file that refers to Klif is back, including the one that caused all the trouble. And yet Avast is still scanning fine. Is it me........?

The thing I like about ZoneAlarm is that at the start, when it's asking permission for programs to connect to the internet, it makes it obvious what's trying, by giving you the name of the program rather than a set of numbers, which means you are always pretty confident as to whether you should allow something access. You can also tick a box so that you aren't constantly told of when it's blocked something from the internet ('informational alerts'). Is Comodo similar?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2007, 01:26:26 AM »
The thing I like about ZoneAlarm is that at the start, when it's asking permission for programs to connect to the internet, it makes it obvious what's trying, by giving you the name of the program rather than a set of numbers, which means you are always pretty confident as to whether you should allow something access. You can also tick a box so that you aren't constantly told of when it's blocked something from the internet ('informational alerts'). Is Comodo similar?
Can you post a screenshot of this message?

GrahamE

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2007, 01:36:34 AM »
Can you post a screenshot of this message?

Also, the latest version I found (I like FileHippo!) is http://www.filehippo.com/download_comodo/ Is that the newest?

Edit: Is that picture a bit big?  ;D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 01:38:09 AM by GrahamE »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2007, 01:41:32 AM »
Is Comodo similar?
Comodo will log this events but won't show the messages, as far I know.

GrahamE

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2007, 01:45:44 AM »
Oh, that's ok then. I always tick to not show them anyway. I didn't want to be having to make choices about a set of numbers that I wouldn't be able to interpret, that's all. I think I might give it a go and see what it's like. Thanks Tech.

Graham.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2007, 01:48:58 AM »
I think I might give it a go and see what it's like. Thanks Tech.
Graham, do you use any P2P application?
If so, I do recommend using PeerGuardian to block this attacks.

GrahamE

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2007, 01:52:08 AM »
No I don't use any P2P, but thanks though.

GrahamE

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2007, 02:03:28 AM »
Tech, if you're out there...........

Sorry, I know this isn't a Comodo Forum, but I'm trying out 2.4.18.184 (so far, so good!!), and I was wondering if you'd upgraded to Comodo 3 yet, or is it best to wait for next update in case of bugs, etc....

Thanks,

Graham

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2007, 02:21:40 AM »

Sorry, I know this isn't a Comodo Forum, but I'm trying out 2.4.18.184 (so far, so good!!), and I was wondering if you'd upgraded to Comodo 3 yet, or is it best to wait for next update in case of bugs, etc....

Thanks,

Graham
Graham, on XP you can use v3 and it should work. Something (or much things) will be different. But after all you can manage.
On Vista, is a shot in the dark. I'll test for the 10th time... but I'm becoming skeptic on Comodo. I've updated all network drivers from HP site... let's try again and lose time...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2007, 02:27:18 AM »

Not Tech but.

There are a couple of topics relating to comodo 3, check the General Forums, Topic list for comodo 3 in it.

There are those who would say avoid 3.0 like the plague, yet others who think it is fine. I don't use it at all but whilst this is still early days of a new version with new features I would say it is wise to wait a little and get used to comodo on what is a stable version.

I'm doing the same with outpost pro 4.0 rather than upgrade to outpost firewall pro 2008, the latest version even though I have a lifetime license and wouldn't have to pay for the upgrade.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

GrahamE

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2007, 02:33:42 AM »
Tech,

Thanks, I appreciate your time. I'll upgrade and give it a try then. Funnily enough, as I logged off from here just now, Comodo tried to update (perhaps '3' is coming anyway....). I haven't noticed any difference when online, but my startup in Windows is definitely quicker - I'm almost glad I had the problems with ZA, which prompted me to change!

It's a pity there's problems on Vista.....