Author Topic: Anyone using ZoneAlarm Free - Help please  (Read 24646 times)

GrahamE

Re: Anyone using ZoneAlarm Free - Help please
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2007, 02:39:54 AM »
There are a couple of topics relating to comodo 3, check the General Forums, Topic list for comodo 3 in it.

There are those who would say avoid 3.0 like the plague, yet others who think it is fine. I don't use it at all but whilst this is still early days of a new version with new features I would say it is wise to wait a little and get used to comodo on what is a stable version

Thanks David. I'll check out the General Forum, and perhaps wait for a while, at least until I've read up about it. If the problems are Vista related, I should be okay, but as I said, I'll read what you've suggested, otherwise I'll be hassling people on the Comodo forums as well!! Thanks.

Graham

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The best things in life are free.

GrahamE

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2007, 02:50:24 AM »
It doesn't look as if the Comodo Forum Members (and it's Moderators) are quite as helpful as on the 'A' list Forum!  :D

Vale2

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2007, 05:08:16 PM »
Hello People !!  Yes another Newbie !!  Need some tips/info regarding ZA Free and Avast Home.  I already have ZA Free installed ( 3 years now) on my laptop running Wins XP SP2.  Am going to uninstall Norton and switch to Avast.  Question:  Does ZA require shutdown before Avast install to prevent any conflicts (i've been reading some of the post re this)?  I have no other security programs installed (yeah i know, i should !!).  Any instructions to prevent conflicts with ZA and Avast would be greatly appreciated !! 
If I have posted this in the wrong area of forum, sorry, and kindly redirect me if that is the case.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2007, 05:19:39 PM »
There is no need to shut down ZA to install avast. The problem with ZA conflict was related to the Pro versions privacy function, which isn't in the ZA free version.

NAV can be a bit of a pig to get rid of and you may need other measures, use the add remove programs to uninstall it. If you experience any remnant issues then you may need to go further.

A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT
You can also download SymNRT, a Norton uninstall tool that uninstalls all Norton 2004/2005/2006 products.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2007, 05:26:59 PM »
Hello People !!  Yes another Newbie !!  Need some tips/info regarding ZA Free and Avast Home.  I already have ZA Free installed ( 3 years now) on my laptop running Wins XP SP2.  Am going to uninstall Norton and switch to Avast.  Question:  Does ZA require shutdown before Avast install to prevent any conflicts (i've been reading some of the post re this)?  I have no other security programs installed (yeah i know, i should !!).  Any instructions to prevent conflicts with ZA and Avast would be greatly appreciated !! 
If I have posted this in the wrong area of forum, sorry, and kindly redirect me if that is the case.
Never shut down a firewall while online!  You shouldn't have any problem installing avast with ZA.  Look at my sig. below.  I highly recommend Opera & Spyware Terminator along with avast & ZA (or PC Tools fw+).  Another excellent program is WinPatrol.

On my desktop I use ZA, on my laptop I use PC Tools fw+.

Vale2

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2007, 05:29:41 PM »
Thanks DavdR, for the prompt reply.  I've read about NAV being a bother to get rid of and have the link bookmarked that you mentioned (should i run into any nasties !!) .   
I love my ZA free and hate the thought of getting rid of it. 
I've read quite a bit about Avast and hope that I dont need to return to the forum for assistance but am really glad that you and so many others are available with a tremendous amount of support !!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2007, 05:35:41 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.
Stick around and browse the forums, especially the sticky topics at the top of each of the forums, not to mention the avast file. They provide a wealth of information to help you get the best from avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Vale2

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2007, 05:42:23 PM »
Thanks Rdmaloyjr.  I'll take a look at WinPatrol.  I've been using Firefox for over 3 years now and, well, am a loyal FF browser.  I know that Opera has its plus over IE (UGH!!!) and it's great that it's available. 
And DavidR, I will certainly take your advice on the "sticky notes". 
Thanks to you both for the info.  This is the best forum that I have been on!!  Quickest replies and no nasties to the Newbies !!!!  Cheers and hope to chat some more one of these days/nites.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2007, 06:24:59 PM »
Your welcome, the avast forum is most certainly different to the run of the mill.

Vale2

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2007, 08:02:10 PM »
Well fellas, I have (I think!!??) successfully uninstalled NAV and now am with avast! !!!  Phew !!  Have a few quieries: 
What is the best way to make adjustments to avast? By that I mean, increasing configuration from "Typical" to say "Custom". And is this best? 
Does avast! always perform a boot scan? or is this a one time deal?
I'm looking for some details on using avast properly. When I right click on the On-Access-Scanner or Virus Recovery Database Generator I'm wondering where I should start !! 
If there is a link with information relating to these types of questions I would appreciate it. And/Or if avast.com has it (and I missed seeing it, let me know.
And, ZA functioned normally upon avast! install, with the proper pop ups.
Looking forward to hearing from you all. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2007, 08:19:47 PM »
I would give yourself time to get used to the program before tweaking it to within an inch of its life ;D

The avast default settings are a good balance between protection and performance.

My avast providers (that are required I don't use P2P nor Instant Messaging application's, so I have those providers Terminated). I have the Web Shield and Internet Mail providers set to High the remainder are set to Normal, the default.

I would say the place to start is the avast help file, Resident protection.

Bob Anderson

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2007, 09:28:15 PM »
Zone Alarm does not use Kaspersky drivers. The ZA firewall technology was designed from the ground up in 2000 by one of the original two owners: Gregor Freund. The firewall was based upon a patented technology that Freund and his partner had developed for another purpose. I know this because I was involved in the original private beta testing long before it became common knowledge that they were developing a firewall.

-Bob

GrahamE

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2007, 09:55:17 PM »
Zone Alarm does not use Kaspersky drivers.

Hi Bob,

The Kaspersky drivers are included in the 7-series downloads, where ZA changed from being a 8-ish MB download to almost 40MB. With the newer versions, you are given the option to install the security suite including AV protection, and the drivers are included even if you just install the firewall.

Graham

Bob Anderson

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2007, 10:30:15 PM »
Zone Alarm does not use Kaspersky drivers.

Hi Bob,

The Kaspersky drivers are included in the 7-series downloads, where ZA changed from being a 8-ish MB download to almost 40MB. With the newer versions, you are given the option to install the security suite including AV protection, and the drivers are included even if you just install the firewall.

Graham

-------------------

Ah! So that is what the new owners did.

By the way I have used probably every version of ZA free and paid versions over the years. I even used the original outbound- only version of ZA in the late nineties before it became an inbound and outbound firewall. I'm currently using ZA free with a NAT router. And Avast! of course.

Thanks for bringing me up to date.

-Bob