Author Topic: Error msg: "Hmm. Let's try a restart.. refresh didn't work.. repair failed"  (Read 3972 times)

Offline IDF

This black pop-up error started appearing out of the blue yesterday.

(I've added it as an attachment but I guess there's no way to tell if the attachment will look prior prior to posting this? And, the Insert Image button only seems to create tags. I don't get it.)

So the message says:

"Hmm... Let's try a restart instead. Sorry, that refresh didn't work, but you're still protected. Try restarting your computer, or repair your installation." And there's an EXIT button."

The message pops up spontaneously from time to time - just like nagging ads from Avast used to show up all the time. It also pops up if I double-click the Avast icon in the system tray or run it from the Start menu.

I restarted - it made no difference.
I clicked the repair button, and to the immediate error "Repair Failed."

In Programs and Features, I selected "Change" but didn't actually change anything. After a minute it said the Change succeeded, but didn't prompt me to restart. So I tried to run the UI again right away, and it failed again in the same way.

I restarted a second time. This time, Avast worked normally.

My application is up-to-date, released Dec 9 2021.

I'm not accustomed to programs spontaneously corrupting themselves.

What do we think happened?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
I restarted a second time. This time, Avast worked normally.
My application is up-to-date, released Dec 9 2021.
I'm not accustomed to programs spontaneously corrupting themselves.
What do we think happened?
Hi, as it works now, maybe just a glitch...
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0